VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I mentioned this in another thread, but got flamed by some guy whom I didn't feel like arguing with with, so here goes.

I get this copy of KQ3 off Ebay (the gold box version). I should have 5.25" and 3.5" disks that look like this

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/kings-quest … eCoverId,58382/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/kings-quest … eCoverId,58383/

but instead the disks in the box appear to be the ones from the original gray box KQ3

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/kings-quest … eCoverId,69661/
http://www.mobygames.com/game/atari-st/kings- … eCoverId,18367/

While the 5.25" disks work just fine and the game plays, trying to read the 3.5" ones just produces a General Failure Reading Drive A message. I'm suspecting the disks in there are the Amiga, Apple IIgs, or Atari ST version, but I have no way to tell.

So what exactly going on here? Did somebody just throw disks from different KQ3 copies into a gold box?

Reply 1 of 10, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I should have 5.25" and 3.5" disks that look like this

No. Generic disk labels were not introduced until mid-to-late 1988. All Sierra disks before that have labels specifically designed and printed for each game, both in gray (one-piece) and slip cover boxes. I've got a gold KQ1AGI with non-generic labels as well. Space Quest II, originally released in December 1987 and always in a slip cover box, even has had non-generic labels until version 2.0D or so.

Does the sticker with the system requirements mention 3.5" disks? The gray sticker with the blue stripe usually mentions both 5.25" and 3.5" disks being enclosed, whereas if you have a box with the gray triangle sticker, then the box will originally only have included 5.25" disks.

What version number is your KQ3 copy? Press Ctrl+D to find out (versions prior to 2.14), or enter "RATS ASS" (version 2.14). Regarding your comment in the other thread, KQ3 was never released in AGI v3.

Reply 2 of 10, by kao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does the sticker with the system requirements mention 3.5" disks?

http://www.vintage-sierra.net/kq/kq3v2.php

the box and media are all like the copy shown here. but that still doesn't explain why I have apparently unreadable 3.5" disks. I still think they're not from the PC version, but from the Amiga one or whatever and somehow got put in this box.

What version number is your KQ3 copy?

It says "V2.00 5/25/87"

Regarding your comment in the other thread, KQ3 was never released in AGI v3.

The version screen would indicate such, but I though that AGI V2 was the one that had a score bar, but no menus (you had to use the function keys to load/save/restart) and that only Black Cauldron, KQ3, and SQ1 used it. This copy definitely has the menus. Unless they had multiple revisions of AGI V2 and the earlier ones didn't have menus.

Reply 3 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kao wrote:

While the 5.25" disks work just fine and the game plays, trying to read the 3.5" ones just produces a General Failure Reading Drive A message. I'm suspecting the disks in there are the Amiga, Apple IIgs, or Atari ST version, but I have no way to tell.

I think DSK2FDI should be able to handle that, assuming you have the right (fairly common) hardware.

Reply 4 of 10, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It says "V2.00 5/25/87

That would explain why you don't have generic disk labels on the 5.25" disks, because those were only used starting in 1988, on disks containing version 2.14 from March 1988.

As far as I see it, at least the 5.25" disks are legit. The 3.5" disks could be from another system, but it's also possible that they've completely lost their content due to demagnetization, which would also give you an error like that.

How many 3.5" disks do you have? Because the Amiga version has one, the Atari has three, while PC and Apple IIgs have two.

, but I though that AGI V2 was the one that had a score bar, but no menus (you had to use the function keys to load/save/restart) and that only Black Cauldron, KQ3, and SQ1 used it. This copy definitely has the menus. Unless they had multiple revisions of AGI V2 and the earlier ones didn't have menus.

Menus were added starting with AGI v2.4xxx. Almost all "innovations" occured within the 2.xxx cycle, including hard disk support.

Reply 5 of 10, by kao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think DSK2FDI should be able to handle that, assuming you have the right (fairly common) hardware

http://www.mofeel.net/653-comp-sys-apple2/382.aspx

this says that DSK2FDI only works on unprotected disks, which obviously does not apply here.

How many 3.5" disks do you have? Because the Amiga version has one, the Atari has three, while PC and Apple IIgs have two.

Two. That would mean if they're not the PC disks, they're the Apple ones.

Reply 6 of 10, by kao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

One other thing. That link I posted implies that DSK2FDI only works for reading side 1 of 5.25" Apple (ie. 140k) disks. It makes sense because the 3.5" IIgs/Mac disks use an 800k variable speed format. AFAIK, there is no possible way for a PC to read that unless you had a Catweasel controller.

Reply 7 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kao wrote:

One other thing. That link I posted implies that DSK2FDI only works for reading side 1 of 5.25" Apple (ie. 140k) disks. It makes sense because the 3.5" IIgs/Mac disks use an 800k variable speed format. AFAIK, there is no possible way for a PC to read that unless you had a Catweasel controller.

Well, there's a number of alternatives to Catweasel now. The Kryoflux, for example. The registered version of DSK2FDI (or Disk2FDI, rather) can do it through a parallel port apparently.

But if they are in fact 3.5" Apple disks, then probably the best way to go would be to find an old Macintosh.

Reply 8 of 10, by kao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, there's a number of alternatives to Catweasel now

I know that. Catweasel is a pretty old ISA card from the 90s.

But if they are in fact 3.5" Apple disks

As best we can guess. I somehow don't think they're PC disks that got demagnetized because my experience is that those are usually still partially readable. These disks will not work at all. I even tried loading individual sectors in DEBUG with L100 0 0 1 and nothing.

But if they are in fact 3.5" Apple disks, then probably the best way to go would be to find an old Macintosh.

That's easier said than done. And even if they are, it's not much use to me since I don't have a IIgs anyway. But maybe some on here would be interested in taking the disks off my hands.

Reply 9 of 10, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kao wrote:

the 3.5" ones just produces a General Failure Reading Drive A message.

Could be that they're just DOA?

I remember about a year ago, I went through a few boxes of 3.5" floppies from my folks' place, and more than a few of them gave the "General Failure" message.

These disks, when you try to format them, give the error "Track 0 Bad - Disk Unusable".

Maybe you just had a bit of bad luck?

I have a IIgs, and my replacement 3.5" floppy drive is arriving in a few days. I could try them in there if you want?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 10 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The alternative to the Catweasel is the USB Kryoflux.

It may also be worth investigating "floppy drive emulators" that read floppy images off of SD cards, but those aren't too helpful if you are looking to image disks to begin with.