Common searches

Duke Nukem 3d sound prob.

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 35, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

....oookay, you tell ME where motherboard manufacturer is stored in the registry or BIOS or whatever. You might be able to report the chipset, etc. but I don't believe the mobo mfg. is stored anywhere.

Additionally, There's lots of different AC97 chips, and I generally don't think they're reported as anything other than "VIA AC97" or "Intel AC97" or whatever.

But I'd love to be proved wrong...

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 22 of 35, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It might be a good idea to get in touch with the guy(s) that make MBM. I know that Vlad has had contact with them before to fix incompatibilities between MBM using GIVEIO.SYS and VDMSound, which doesn't work with said driver.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 25 of 35, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stiletto wrote:

....oookay, you tell ME where motherboard manufacturer is stored in the registry or BIOS or whatever. You might be able to report the chipset, etc. but I don't believe the mobo mfg. is stored anywhere.
But I'd love to be proved wrong...

You're proved wrong. Well, on that. Not on the whole AC97 thing, though I imagine with a small bit of digging you could figure out what exactly it was by looking at the Manufacturer's site.

For me:
System Model:
&MSI MS-6380 2.0
&Asset Tag: 0123ABC
Main Circuit Board:
&Board: MSI MS-6380 2.0
&Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
&BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 07.00T 11/02/2001

Here's something else interesting I learned about this mainboard: It only supports 184-pin DIMM non-parity unbuffered PC1600 or PC2100 RAM. That concerns me a bit. Oh, well.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 26 of 35, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool!

I wonder how it's doing that - looking in the BIOS or something.

Mr. I Duke, download the utility Colin has linked to above, install it, run it, copy the motherboard information and post it. 😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 27 of 35, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tested it on mine as well. Seems to be pretty accurate (Reported my AS40GT as an AS40).

People might want to edit out info that they don't want to spread, such as the license number that they used to install Windows.

Reply 28 of 35, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In 2000/XP, that isn't actually the license number, unfortunately. (Unfortunate because I can't find mine for the life of me so I need to use a fake code (by fake I mean it reports as 00000-OEM-0000001-00000 or something like that. Then I have to change that number back to what mine is in the registry and it's okay again, but still, what a pain in the arse).) In 95/98 (and possibly ME), it is.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 29 of 35, by Mr.i Duke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here it is... I hope i copied the right information...😉

VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8363
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
800 megahertz AMD Duron
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
64 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: 8363-686A
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG 01/10/2001
Drives Memory Modules - Buy More
24.81 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
4.60 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Slot 'BANK_0' has 128 MB
Slot 'BANK_1' is Empty
Slot 'BANK_2' is Empty

This time, it's war!

Reply 30 of 35, by vladr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Windows (as well as the BIOS) can enumerate the devices on a PCI bus, USB bus, etc. Each device can report back a unique ID (manufacturer ID + product ID typically). Windows/BIOS can more or less do that with IDE drives and P&P ISA boards as well, but anyway. Windows then checks this manufacturer ID + product ID against its .inf files and selects the appropriate driver; the driver itself may further query the device in a device-specific way. You will find these devices arranged by ID under HKLM/Enum in Windows 9x and HKLM/CurentControlSet/Enum IIRC. So yes, you can write a program that makes the inventory of all the hardware on the machine if you have these ini files (or equivalent) and know how to enumerate devices on the various system buses.

V.

Reply 31 of 35, by Mr.i Duke

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"Playback failed, possibly due to an invalid or conflicting DMA channel"

Thanks, but didn't solve my problem. I guess i just have to put a bullet in my head and pray that in my next life i have a Soundblaster Audigy 128...

And the problem is in Shadow Warrior and Blood too....

This time, it's war!

Reply 33 of 35, by Rorie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi i'm new here
i am too trying to get duke3d to run with vdmsound

but when i try to do so this error message comes up
DPMI_mapPhysicalToLinear() failed!
> Press any key to continue . . .

& when i try it with the emulator it's quits unexpectedly

what can i do to fix this?