VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have been unable to locate information about this soundcard and hopefully some of you may know something about it. I want to use it for late DOS games, early Windows games and possibly older DOS games. Looks pretty decent?

The chip is from Analog Devices and it claims a lot of compatibility.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Echo-Speech-Echo-DSP- … =item3a7c5b39db

FYI, I am building a Windows 98 gaming box that I will start a new thread on at a later date. I am using all NOS parts and aiming for extreme stability and compatibility. Thank you.

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 2 of 6, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was looking at that one myself. It has an Analog Devices chip on it, and sound cards with that chip are generally regarded as low end so the sound quality is probably just a step or two above PC speaker. A standard Sound Blaster 16 or Sound Blaster Pro would be much better in terms of both sound quality and game compatibility. It claims compatibility with SB16 and SB Pro, but you don't know just how compatible it really is. Like was mentioned above, because it's such an obscure card, any compatibility issues will be equally obscure and you probably won't find a lot of help with them because there aren't a lot of them in use anymore and most people probably have never heard of it.

Reply 3 of 6, by bristlehog

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's built over an AD1848KP chip, the same one that is used in Microsoft Windows Sound System and Orchid SoundWave 32 cards.

Microsoft WSS image
Orchid SoundWave 32 image

I don't know what wavetable it is that they claim to exist on that card. Maybe there is one. If so, the card could be of a limited interest to one who wants to collect tons of wavetable cards and compare them. The 18$ price is low enough to risk.

But I don't recommend to build your main retrosystem around such a card, especially if you race for high compatibility. That AD1848KP is not very compatible; I could only squeeze the monoaural SB 2.0 support out of Orchid SoundWave 32.

Hardware comparisons and game system requirements: https://technical.city

Reply 4 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One "WAVETABLE!" WSS card i've seen just loaded a software Vsynth driver instead.

also one AD18xx card i've tried was bad that made everything sound higher pitched and distorted.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 6, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the help. I'll look at other options. I used an Ensoniq AudioPCI back in the day before moving up to a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 6 of 6, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have the precursor card, with the ESC614 chip (ECHO Soundmedia 002).
Sound qualiity is not bad at all - well, compared to SB 2.0 and SB Pro I cards - but the MIDI part requires incredibly bloated TSRs. AFAICR, it was around 55 Kb and another TSR was also needed for something (*scratching head*) ... I still have the card somewhere.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."