VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by snowboard71

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i i have dosbox 0.60.windows98se,sblaster live audigy.when install alone3(with wininstall and disable all soundcard)the game works without voices and music.i ve read that with vdms the game work.what can i do?i dont have the vdms program(however i think it not works in my win98se).can someone help me? thank you

Reply 1 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
snowboard71 wrote:

... and disable all soundcard ...

Is it disabled in the game, or in Win98SE?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 17, by snowboard71

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have to install from win98se,but playing in dosbox because under win98se there isnt enough memory free.so launch winstall from the alone3cd,in options leave all settings sound to"nothing".so launch dosboxv 0.58,launch the game,and it is with no sound and music.now open the alone options and disable the music\voices.relaunch the game,but it is the same.no music and no sound.if i winstall fromwin98se but setting in alone cd the sound to "sound blaster",when launch the game the sound effects work,but there isnt music!!any help? 😢

Reply 3 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
snowboard71 wrote:

... open the alone options and disable the music\voices.

disable?

Reply 5 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

What are the settings for the sound and music cards in the game? Do they match what is set in DOSBox?

If possible, set the music card to MIDI/MPU-401 and the sound card to plain SoundBlaster, and check the following in your DOSBox configuration:

[mixer]
nosound=false

[midi]

mpu401=true
device=default

[sblaster]

sblaster=true
base=220
irq=7
dma=1

--
MiniMax

Reply 6 of 17, by snowboard71

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have done like you told me.in my dosbox config its all right.i have "false"the adlib sound option in my dosbox.nothing music again...from my alone cd there is 4 audio option:i have tried all four options,but its the same.i have an "fm "options in my alone cd,but it says"nothing"........any other help?.....

Reply 7 of 17, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Sorry, I think you need help from someone who has "Alone in the Dark 3", and I do not.

Reply 10 of 17, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One more thing (if you have winxp):
My computer ->right click on your cd->properities->hardware->double click on your cd name->properities->check turn on digital audio playing from this cd device

(if you have win9x check whether your cd audio cable is connected from cd to your sound card)

Reply 11 of 17, by snowboard71

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

my cable is connected to soundcard from the analog output of my dvdrecorder(pioneera06)ihave only this dvdrom on my pc.i have to connect the digital audio output from my dvdrecorder to my soundblasteraudigy?

Reply 13 of 17, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

There are two ways of playing CD audio: digital (in fact grabbing, this does not need the cable from CD to soundcard) and analog (older one, needs cable connected to the soundcard).
Windows Media Player knows both and it defaults to digital (there is checkbox "Digital" somewhere in menu). If the game has CD Audio you probably need the cable (the game does not do grabbing, it just tells the CD to play track XY and the sound from CD mechanic goes to soundcard).

If you have the analog connection from CD to sound card then it is ok (some CDs/soundcards enable digital connection as well, I do not have experience). But there must be some connection (otherwise only grabbing is possible).

Mirek

Reply 16 of 17, by snowboard71

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok,the cable connect of my dvd was wrong.now i listen music during game but when carnbi talk in the intro after a few second of conversation,it stops and i cant listen the rest of dialogs.....im using dosbox058.........any help?

Reply 17 of 17, by snowboard71

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i have tried with dosbox060 but it hangs on intro.the games dont start.it freeze on infograms pictures.......im using the original cd version of alone3....i remember that the dialog with carnbi was much longer then the actual with dosbox.i have to install with wininstall under win98se,because if i try to install under dosbox it cant install the game.at ending of installation dosbox automaticalli exit........i have set the sound card to soundblaster.the options of "fm sound card" is set to off,and i cant change it......any help?