VOGONS

First post, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm trying to get Tie Fighter Collectors Edition working, using a USB Joystick (Thrustmaster T.16000M) to control it. This is on my retro gaming PC (currently PII 300MHz, 384MB RAM, S3 Virge DX, SB32, MT32/SCC 1 (through SB32 MIDI port) and a Voodoo 2. Might get an upgrade to a P3 700 with up to 2GB RAM)

Problems :

Run it in pure DOS, there's no joystick, even using the USBJSTIK driver, as Tie Fighter uses DOS4GW
Run it in a Windows 98 MSDOS Window, joystick 'works' but mappings are wrong. Thrustmaster software is incompatible.

If I ran it in XP (untried), theoretically it might work (with Thrustmaster's software), but there would be no soundcard support. VDMSound? I'd rather not use DOSBox.

I reckon my best option is to find suitable joystick remapping software - what's the best out there? I'd like to get 'the lot' working, including throttle and the buttons mapped to key presses.

Advice?

Next step at the weekend is an SSD w/SATA to IDE converter, rebuild the machine with DOS 6, W98, XP (to download GOG games) and OS/2.

Reply 2 of 3, by ynari

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

😉

I know that's one option, but a) I already have a shiny joystick and b) the SB32 gameport is in use by the MIDI cable.

Yes, I do have a USB to MIDI cable (untested) that could perhaps be used for MIDI, and also a cheapo PCI soundcard with gameport that might help. I was hoping to use the spare slot for another Voodoo2, though..

Reply 3 of 3, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think there is a y-cable to be able to attach both a midi device and a joystick to the port. No idea how well that will work.
Usb2midi will probably not work as you want in dos...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper