VOGONS

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I now have a 486DX2-50 system to go along with PII-333 and PIII-866 systems. I use the 486 for DOS games before the likes of Doom 2 (non-turbo mode for older games) and the other two for most other games up to Win98, depending on which one is hooked up.

I was curious whether there are games (DOS, probably) that run juuuuuust right with a Pentium-class CPU, maybe something from 90MHz through 166MHz. These games would run too slowly on a 486 and would not run correctly on a faster PII or any PIII. FPS games like Doom 2 and Duke 3D run just fine with faster CPUs, so maybe there isn't a group of games like this, but I'm curious about your experiences.

Reply 1 of 6, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

at 90MHz you're already exceeding playable speed for all the SCI1 games.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 6, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's correct. I was wondering if there were any games that ran properly ONLY with a Pentium system, not a 486, not a PII or PIII.

Reply 4 of 6, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

Hi-Octane and Magic Carpet. Runs too slow on 486 and too fast on PII.

Is it possible to use slowdown utilities to get these running properly on a PII or even a PIII?

Reply 5 of 6, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

Hi-Octane and Magic Carpet. Runs too slow on 486 and too fast on PII.

Magic Carpet... in hi-res mode with all effects enabled? Even a PIII has trouble keeping up with that.

Reply 6 of 6, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

K6-2+/3+ are your friends with those 3D Bullfrog games. Magic Carpet actually runs faster on my K6-III+ 550 than on my Pentium III 500 (hi-res mode, although still not totally playable).
A Pentium will run them fantastically in low-res, but high-res will be taxing, maybe High Octane can get away with it though!