VOGONS

First post, by Dakkiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today, a IBM 300GL just arrived today that I bought 3 days ago.

And the computer appears to be running slower then a 286 for some reason
PC came with Windows 95, but it would Blue Screen 2 times then get stuck on the screen.
I reformatted the PC and putted DOS, and 3D Benchmark 2 ran super slowly
And installing Windows 98 is also super slow.

Is there anything that could be wrong?

Last edited by Dakkiller on 2015-08-02, 14:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 16, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

semi-dead hard drive that always tries to access damaged areas? seems possible

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 16, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah that is what I would guess. Bad hard drive seems most probable since I have an IBM PC300GL as well and mine is pretty quick and responsive.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 3 of 16, by Dakkiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
King_Corduroy wrote:

Yeah that is what I would guess. Bad hard drive seems most probable since I have an IBM PC300GL as well and mine is pretty quick and responsive.

I don't think its the hard drive, because even when I ran Superscape Benchmark from a floppy, it still ran super slow (And the system isn't even accessing the floppy drive while the benchmark was taking place.

(BTW: At its current condition, the superscape score is 13.7)

Reply 4 of 16, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try removing the Voodoo and the other expansion cards, it could be an address conflict causing your system to be unstable. I had that problem on my Packard Bell Platinum 55.

Reply 8 of 16, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lol if you had mentioned that your CMOS was dead that would have helped 🤣.

Reply 11 of 16, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

But there is a proper forum here for old hardware. Besides, which is more interesting is very subjective.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 12 of 16, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Last time I checked there is a whole specific section dedicated to old hardware here. :?

At anyrate why try and steer people AWAY from this site? It's like you are just asking for it to get abandoned. 😒

Reply 13 of 16, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was not referring to another site, I am not asking for anyone to go away. Marvin - "Discussion about old PC hardware and Retro PCs " is for the old hardware. This forum is "Getting old DOS games working." People posting in the wrong forum makes it harder to limit the search function to what is relevant to your current search. It is like have a bunch of misfiled data and ultimately, VOGONS' database is one of the most valuable things about this place. Marvin was created by Snover because he got tired of people posting old hardware stuff in the DOS games forum and the PC emulation forum.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 14 of 16, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ooooh! My mistake! I naturally assumed this was under Marvin. Why indeed is it under DOS? 🤣