VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Galahad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is there a way to manually disable the High DMA channel using CTCM.exe with an AWE64 Gold, in DOS and/or classic Windows games? (Was just wondering as I think I may have seen it hinted here on the form, but wasn't sure what specific command line switches might be needed to configure it with?) Thanks in advance for any helpful comments that anyone might be kind enough to provide! 😀

Reply 2 of 17, by NewRisingSun

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Exactly how does one do that? If I edit CTPNP.CFG to set the same values for low and high DMA (e.g. 1 and 1), CTCM will just set it the low value to 0 and the high back to 5. Or how does one go about changing that value properly, other than editing the config file? This method has worked for changing every other setting so far.

Reply 3 of 17, by Galahad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
NewRisingSun wrote:

Exactly how does one do that? If I edit CTPNP.CFG to set the same values for low and high DMA (e.g. 1 and 1), CTCM will just set it the low value to 0 and the high back to 5. Or how does one go about changing that value properly, other than editing the config file? This method has worked for changing every other setting so far.

Yes I have also noticed the behavior that NewRisingSun had mentioned above too, and would really love to know the answer as well, if any kind soul knows more please?

Reply 5 of 17, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I cannot say for sure with the AWE64, but with my AWE32 I run CTCU.EXE (usually found in C:\CTCM, but may be different.) Go through the configurations available, there should be at least one that only has a single DMA listed. I just confirmed by changing mine to "PORT 220, MIDI 300, FM 388, IRQ 7, DMA 1" and it seems to work fine.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 6 of 17, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Cloudschatze wrote:

I can verify later, but try configuring the DMA resources via the CTCU utility.

Heh 😀 You must have been typing while I was testing... If you have an AWE64, you could probably tell him/her for sure if it will work or not.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 8 of 17, by Galahad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Cloudschatze wrote:

I can verify later, but try configuring the DMA resources via the CTCU utility.

Sorry Cloud, I'm not trying to sound dumb or anything, but do you know where the CTCU utility can be located please? (For some reason, it does not appear to be a file that is installed on my computer when I searched for it multiple times, even though I did install all of the AWE64 Gold software utilities as far as I can remember, straight from the install CD.) Is CTCU one of the Creative utilities that is officially supported, with AWE64? All I can seem to locate atm are the CTCM and CTLOAD files? Again sorry for to have to ask this here, as computer hardware is unfortunately not really my strongsuit... 😊

Reply 9 of 17, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It must have either gotten deleted or was missing from your install CD. The Vogons Driver Database has an AWE64 install CD image, and the CTCU.EXE program is on that (I just downloaded and looked at it.) You might try re-installing (after checking your CD maybe.) Just in case, though. Check your hard drive. The AWE cards create 2 directories, usually. The default directories are "C:\SB16" and "C:\CTCM". CTCU.EXE is usually in the "C:\CTCM" directory. I've extracted "CTCU.EXE" from the ISO, zipped it, and uploaded it here so you can try to just use this one. But it might not work if you don't have the other installed files. Figure it's worth a shot though 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    CTCU.zip
    File size
    220.68 KiB
    Downloads
    91 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Feeding Dragon

Reply 10 of 17, by Galahad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FeedingDragon wrote:

It must have either gotten deleted or was missing from your install CD. The Vogons Driver Database has an AWE64 install CD image, and the CTCU.EXE program is on that (I just downloaded and looked at it.) You might try re-installing (after checking your CD maybe.) Just in case, though. Check your hard drive. The AWE cards create 2 directories, usually. The default directories are "C:\SB16" and "C:\CTCM". CTCU.EXE is usually in the "C:\CTCM" directory. I've extracted "CTCU.EXE" from the ISO, zipped it, and uploaded it here so you can try to just use this one. But it might not work if you don't have the other installed files. Figure it's worth a shot though 😀

Thank you so much for all of your outstanding help there FeedingDragon! 😀

Looking forward to trying it out soon and letting everyone know how things go, as soon as I have a chance...thanks again!

Reply 11 of 17, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The other option is getting the drivers from the Creative site. There are a set for pure DOS and one for Windows 9x MS-DOS mode.

I had a quick look and you do indeed just change the resources and select a different configuration.

It seems that the higher configurations have more resources disabled. Config 4 for example gives you.

220, 388, 5 and 1

So this should give you AWE, FM, Sound Blaster with a single DMA but no MPU401.

I use 220, 388, 300, 7, 1 and 5 in combination with a MPU-401AT at 2/9, 330

I'm sure there is a config that will suit your situation.

e2d5LQJl.jpg

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 12 of 17, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:
The other option is getting the drivers from the Creative site. There are a set for pure DOS and one for Windows 9x MS-DOS mode. […]
Show full quote

The other option is getting the drivers from the Creative site. There are a set for pure DOS and one for Windows 9x MS-DOS mode.

I had a quick look and you do indeed just change the resources and select a different configuration.

It seems that the higher configurations have more resources disabled. Config 4 for example gives you.

220, 388, 5 and 1

OK, I'm an idiot 🙁 I didn't even think of going to Creative Labs web site. I'm so used to having to google search my drivers, I forgot that Creative Labs is one of the places that I don't have to... Sorry about that Galahad.

Also, that's the exact same setting I use (220 388 300 7 1 5 - 2/9 330) 😀 It seems to be the most compatible settings for that combination of cards.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 13 of 17, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
FeedingDragon wrote:

Also, that's the exact same setting I use (220 388 300 7 1 5 - 2/9 330) 😀 It seems to be the most compatible settings for that combination of cards.

😊 I think so too. Never had any issues.

Another tip, if you don't use them, I always disable the parallel and serial ports in the BIOS to free resources. And in MIXERSET mute all the inputs that aren't used such as line-in, PC Speaker, AUX, CD and disable the inputs (tick boxes on the right side). The Audio CD cable usually picks up interference, so I actually don't use it anymore and have a lead going from the back of the DVD drive to the external mixer 🤣

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 14 of 17, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
philscomputerlab wrote:

Another tip, if you don't use them, I always disable the parallel and serial ports in the BIOS to free resources. And in MIXERSET mute all the inputs that aren't used such as line-in, PC Speaker, AUX, CD and disable the inputs (tick boxes on the right side). The Audio CD cable usually picks up interference, so I actually don't use it anymore and have a lead going from the back of the DVD drive to the external mixer 🤣

Well, I use the parallel and the COM ports. They are how my PCs communicate with my Amigas and my XAP1571. Makes things a bit tight, but everything works, and I'm not getting any conflicts 😀 I used to have my parallel port on IRQ 7 & AWE32 on 5, but I discovered there are some games that throw a hissy if you set anything but 7 for the Sound Blaster (Gods is one of the IIRC.)

As for the CD cable, I just got a longer than normal cable and run it round the top - then front - then bottom edge of the case. The metal of the case acts as shielding, so I don't get any interference 😀 The hardest part with this case was threading it through the drive chassis so that it wouldn't get pinched or have to go around the PSU or right next to the speaker.

I also mute the unused inputs 😀

Feeding Dragon

Reply 15 of 17, by Galahad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks philscomputerlab! Your screenshots combined with FeedingDragon's attached CTCU file worked very nicely! 😀

philscomputerlab wrote:
The other option is getting the drivers from the Creative site. There are a set for pure DOS and one for Windows 9x MS-DOS mode. […]
Show full quote

220, 388, 5 and 1

e2d5LQJl.jpg

Reply 16 of 17, by Galahad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
FeedingDragon wrote:
philscomputerlab wrote:
Show full quote

220, 388, 5 and 1

OK, I'm an idiot 🙁 I didn't even think of going to Creative Labs web site. I'm so used to having to google search my drivers, I forgot that Creative Labs is one of the places that I don't have to... Sorry about that Galahad.

No worries FeedingDragon, your attached files worked perfectly, just as you had suggested! Again thank you so much, for all of your amazing help and for your kindness, in being so wonderfully helpful! 😀 No need to apologize my friend; your solution worked great indeed!

Reply 17 of 17, by Galahad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
philscomputerlab wrote:
FeedingDragon wrote:

😊 I think so too. Never had any issues.

Thanks again for the very valuable and excellent tip!