VOGONS

Can't make these games work (real old PC)

Topic actions

First post, by DataPro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use XMS memory with EMM386, Cute mouse, SoftMPU v1.9, UNIVBE...

When I launch Lethal Weapon (OCEAN), the title screen is just fine but I can't go forward.
The computer plays the animation and music; it doesn't hang but it doesn't respond to any key or mouse...

When I try to play with Megaman X, the intro, menu work fine. When I launch the game, it hangs when Megaman appears in a laserbeam

Last edited by DataPro on 2014-12-02, 08:17. Edited 1 time in total.

HP Vectra 562 P166Mhz/256Ko L2 cache/Triton 430FX - 112Mo RAM - 2x 32Go+64Go CF Card - Matrox G2 8Mo - SB AWE64 ISA (PnP) + Roland MT-32 & M-GS64 (SC-88) & JV-1010 - Nec USB 2.0 PCI - Promise Ultra100 TX2 - Hama multicard reader

Reply 1 of 25, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Megamax X might have a problem with your Matrox card. Updating the card BIOS might fix it, if you haven't.
Lethal Weapon might not be compatible with your mouse driver. Try an alternate one.
I wouldn't rely on Univbe as it made all my past systems hang while playing any game.

Reply 2 of 25, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DataPro wrote:

When I launch Lethal Weapon (OCEAN), the title screen is just fine but I can't go forward.

Lethal weapon has a rather picky copy protection. If it doesn't respond to keyboard input and the intro loops, you need to reinstall it. Yes, this will work and I'm talking based on personal experience. I had my original floppy from back then copied all over my setups in order to protect it and not use it much, but I found out that it needed a reinstall to work. I have no clue what it binds to though.

I don't know if the game has become freeware or not or if you possess an original copy, but just saying, you need to have a version which you can install. Either the original one, or if the game is freeware by now, the original floppy files to run the installation. Not just the game's folder after installation.

Reply 3 of 25, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

i'm pretty sure games licensed from other intellectual properties such as movies never go freeware ever.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 25, by DataPro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

* I can't have sound with the Need for Speed (there is no setup ??)
* I manage to make Megaman X work by changing level (speed) from normal to slowest. Back to normal the game freezes again when Megaman appears. Really strange...
* Crusader No Remose freeze during loading. The screen goes black. I try with XMS, EMS and no EMM386 : it's the same.
* Chasm: The Rift freeze during loading... no message...

Last edited by DataPro on 2014-12-02, 12:57. Edited 1 time in total.

HP Vectra 562 P166Mhz/256Ko L2 cache/Triton 430FX - 112Mo RAM - 2x 32Go+64Go CF Card - Matrox G2 8Mo - SB AWE64 ISA (PnP) + Roland MT-32 & M-GS64 (SC-88) & JV-1010 - Nec USB 2.0 PCI - Promise Ultra100 TX2 - Hama multicard reader

Reply 5 of 25, by DataPro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got Alone in the Dark's genuine CD with voices.
I can't play without the CD... Is there a way to put full game on harddisk ?

Reply 6 of 25, by DataPro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

for the game the Need for Speed, I'll try this :
The Need for Speed

It's very uncommon method. Setup.exe or Install.exe is a better way to set sound.

Reply 7 of 25, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DataPro wrote:
* I can't have sound with the Need for Speed (there is no setup ??) * I manage to make Megaman X work by changing level (speed) […]
Show full quote

* I manage to make Megaman X work by changing level (speed) from normal to slowest. Back to normal the game freezes again when Megaman appears. Really strange...
* Crusader No Remose freeze during loading. The screen goes black. I try with XMS, EMS and no EMM386 : it's the same.
* Chasm: The Rift freeze during loading... no message...

Except for NFS, the rest seems to be related to your Matrox card or Univbe. Univbe has caused a lot of trouble for me in the past, freezes to be more exact. Try running these games without it.

Reply 9 of 25, by DataPro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For the Need for Speed, it works with TNFS SB (SB must be in capital letters, that's the point).
I didn't try but I found this :
SB - Sound Blaster
SB16 - Sound Blaster 16
SBPRO - Sound Blaster Pro
AWE - Sound Blaster AWE 32
GUS - Gravis UltraSound

@filipetolhuizen : For the others games, I remove UNIVBE after your first post. I didn't change anything.
It may be the Matrox, but I am not really sure...

Reply 10 of 25, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DataPro wrote:

There is no setup program in the installation folder, you're correct.
Sound configuration is done during the installation from the cdrom (installd.exe for dos)

You can always edit the .cfg in the installation folder later, but I'd suggest to reinstall anyway

Reply 11 of 25, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DataPro wrote:

For the Need for Speed, it works with TNFS SB (SB must be in capital letters, that's the point).
@filipetolhuizen : For the others games, I remove UNIVBE after your first post. I didn't change anything.
It may be the Matrox, but I am not really sure...

See if there's a BIOS update for your card. Some older Matrox BIOS tend to be problematic.

Reply 12 of 25, by DataPro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Crusader no Remorse (Demo version) works well.

I've found the lastest BIOS update for Matrox : ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/previous/bios/setup351.exe
Content : ftp://ftp.matrox.com/pub/mga/previous/bios/351notes.txt

I will see if mine is up to date or not.

Reply 13 of 25, by DataPro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finally succeed with Crusader No Remorse. I use Crusader No Remorse Demo's config file with the game. Crusader No Regret works too.
So there was not any problems with Matrox card.

I updated the Matrox Mystique's Bios from v1.3 to v1.8 only yesterday.

Lethal Weapon and Megaman X continue to freeze.

Reply 14 of 25, by DataPro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DataPro wrote:

I got Alone in the Dark's genuine CD with voices.
I can't play without the CD... Is there a way to put full game on harddisk ?

The original set up should look like this :
290px-AiTD3-options.png
But mine is totally messed with strange characters under DOS (Need ANSI.SYS ?)
Finally I use a cracked version... 😢 Now my setup is like this :
Alone_In_the_Dark_-_DOS_-_Setup_-_Sound.png

Last edited by DataPro on 2014-12-10, 15:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 15 of 25, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DataPro wrote:
I finally succeed with Crusader No Remorse. I use Crusader No Remorse Demo's config file with the game. Crusader No Regret works […]
Show full quote

I finally succeed with Crusader No Remorse. I use Crusader No Remorse Demo's config file with the game. Crusader No Regret works too.
So there was not any problems with Matrox card.

I updated the Matrox Mystique's Bios from v1.3 to v1.8 only yesterday.

Lethal Weapon and Megaman X continue to freeze.

Try enabling Memory Hole at 15-16MB in BIOS setup.

Reply 16 of 25, by bjt

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recommend only running SoftMPU when you need it for a particular game. It does various things to the hardware that some games may not like.

Reply 17 of 25, by DataPro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The memory hole is just needed by some OLD ISA card and maybe for SB PCI128... I just have an ISA AWE64 so enabling memory hole may create more problems than it can solve.

I will probably remove SoftMPU. But I remeber than Megaman X freeze also without it.

Reply 18 of 25, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DataPro wrote:

The memory hole is just needed by some OLD ISA card and maybe for SB PCI128... I just have an ISA AWE64 so enabling memory hole may create more problems than it can solve.

I will probably remove SoftMPU. But I remeber than Megaman X freeze also without it.

The memory hole in this case is intended for limiting the available RAM. Lots of RAM can stop some games from running properly.

Reply 19 of 25, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
filipetolhuizen wrote:
DataPro wrote:

The memory hole in this case is intended for limiting the available RAM. Lots of RAM can stop some games from running properly.

DataPro has a good point here. There are more practical ways to limit DOS memory, see this topic for example.