VOGONS

Common searches

ESS (not Ensoniq) Maestro-2 Compatibility

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently acquired a second hand laptop (a Toshiba Satellite 4090CDS) with a Ensoniq Maestro 2 integrated sound card.

Anybody does know if there is a DOS driver for this card or is this card hardware compatible with another one?

Reply 3 of 17, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I searched yesterday, and didn't found anything (except drivers related to Linux).

Very good info, I'll try ASAP. Thanks you.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 17, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ESS != Ensoniq. ESS Maestro-2 was PCI-based chipset. At the time it shipped DOS lost most of its relevance so separate DOS drivers were never published. I never had personal experience with this particular chip but there is a good chance that there is DOS driver buried somewhere in Win95/98 drivers. Try the official site http://www.esstech.com/techsupp/drivers.shtm#pci. The driver package contains some utility called maestro.com which looks like DOS initialization/Soundblaster emulation tool. Try it.

Reply 10 of 17, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not Working. My sound card is a ES1978 (ESS Maestro 2E, I wrote I had a Maestro 2, sorry), not a ES1868.

Also, I found ESS drivers page: http://www.esstech.com/techsupp/drivers.shtm

It seems ESS never released generic pure DOS drivers for PCI chipsets, and Toshiba doesn't have DOS drivers either. DOS support is offered by Windows drivers.

I guess I'll try Googling again...

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 11 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Shouldn't your games work fine under Windows 98SE command prompt? It's been a loooooong time since I played games in Win98 command prompt (and since I had an ISA card I simply played them in real ms-dos instead).

But I don't really remember any issues with 9x command prompt. Obviouslly there will be some like JEMM games and their ilk but most games should work fine.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 12 of 17, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, I've installed Windows 98 SE over the DOS partition (now, the Laptop has 4 OS: MS-DOS 6.22, Windows 98 SE, Windows 2000 and Debian 3.1), breaking GRUB and tried the sound drivers from Toshiba.

The sound works (as expected). Then, I booted in pure DOS. Tried MAESTRO.COM. The sound worked and didn't complain about not in Windows 98.

Japanese poltergeist?

P.S.: I keep wondering why the video driver supports Direct3D in Windows 98, but not in Windows 2000...

Reply 13 of 17, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2000 comes with DX7 unless you upgraded it, IIRC 98SE comes with DX6?

I noticed once you upgrade from DX7 to DX8/DX9 (or was it 7 too?) that the Direct3D option will be grayed out, whereas with DX7 and below it will be able to be chosen. This happens on some chipsets. I can only assume that these chipsets don't support DX8/DX9 and these newer versions of DX simply don't register the older DX ver supported by the video card. I'm not sure if the games still run using some of the DX acceleration features of the card or in software D3D....probably the later....but most likely the old games just revert to DirectDraw.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline