VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've noticed this on a few Sound Blaster clones (ISA in DOS) - the guard's gunshots are accompanied by an ear splitting pop that's often much louder than the FX. I noticed it most recently on a PAS16 I was testing, and interestingly it doesn't seem to be tied to the sound FX, but rather to the OPL3. I say that because even without initialising the card (and thus only the OPL3 is detected and only music is played), the pop can be heard when a guard fires his gun.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a way of fixing it?

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 1 of 6, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So it uses Adlib sound effects for gunshot? Well at least it has real OPL3 so theoretically it should be present on other cards as well when music+sfx are set to Adlib.

There is one thing on the PAS16, the OPL3 DAC output is AC coupled right after the sample/hold capacitor, before inverting op-amp circuitry, so it is possible that a voltage step creates a largis thump instead of smallish snap compared to sound cards with DC coupled DAC output.

Reply 2 of 6, by Beegle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The game was designed for Adlib/Soundblaster originals (OPL2) so maybe interpretation of the gunshot is different on an OPL3 ?
I know some instruments sound really different between the two chips...

I could check on an original Adlib if you want?
Also, which guards are we talking about? Normal brown guards with blue boots?

The more sound cards, the better.
AdLib documentary : Official Thread
Youtube Channel : The Sound Card Database

Reply 3 of 6, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know for a fact the low guard and officer and the boss gatling gun sounds have VERY loud pops at the start of each, but what you're describing is really weird. Is it trying to play the AdLib sound effect and the digital one at the same time? In either case the digital sample has a harsh pop at the very beginning regardless...

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 4 of 6, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jepael wrote:

So it uses Adlib sound effects for gunshot? Well at least it has real OPL3 so theoretically it should be present on other cards as well when music+sfx are set to Adlib.

No I don't think the gunshot is supposed to come through the OPL3 - you can't hear the gunshot with the sound blaster emulation turned off, just the awful pop. From memory it's just the little guards - the first one you meet for example.

I thought this might be a known issue but it sounds like I'd better do some more testing and report back.

Reply 6 of 6, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh dear I was hoping that this thread would just quietly disappear off the bottom of the page and hide my shame but yes you're right, initialising the card with the correct version of MVSOUND.SYS fixes the problem. No more awful popping.

It turned out that I've bought myself another 'studio' model PAS16, and there are a plethora of different versions of both the DOS driver and the mixer out there (PAS.EXE), so it pays to find the correct one.

Thanks for the reply.