VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Listomefisto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I'm trying to play Monkey Island 1 & 2 and other games with a special combination of sound cards. Is it possible to play music with a Yamaha MU50 Midi module and mixing the sound effects with a Sound Blaster? The sound effects with the Yamaha MU50 are very bad and some games like Laura Bow and the dagger of Amon Ra, loose the voices since the MU50 can't reproduce them and I can't choose sound effects with ScummVM. I'm using the ScummVM for loading the games and I'm using the option "Windows Midi USB 2". That option seems the only one which can play the music through my MU50. Can someone help me, please?

Reply 1 of 6, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Monkey Island 1 and 2 do not support the General MIDI standard. They support the Roland MT-32 / CM-32L / LAPC-I standard. They also only support a single sound card.

Later games, and I'm not sure about Dagger of Amon Ra, but I believe it does, supported two sound devices. You would select General MIDI or Sound Canvas for Music and Sound Blaster for sound effects.

So knowing this, you just need to configure DOSBox or ScummVM accordingly. Now Dagger of Amon Ra isn't on GOG yet, so I don't have a copy. But you can try Space Quest 1 VGA or any other newer Sierra or Lucasarts game like Sam and Max or Day of the Tentacle.

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 3 of 6, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is an unofficial version of Monkey Island 2 which adds the digital voices from the recent remake:

http://gratissaugen.de/ultimatetalkies/monkey2.html

I played this version on my 386 with LAPC-I and Sound Blaster. I had to start It with MONKEY2 /R
However it should work fine with SCUMMVM as well, and let you use the sound blaster for voices/effects and the MIDI device for music.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 4 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
philscomputerlab wrote:

Monkey Island 1 and 2 do not support the General MIDI standard. They support the Roland MT-32 / CM-32L / LAPC-I standard. They also only support a single sound card.

Later games, and I'm not sure about Dagger of Amon Ra, but I believe it does, supported two sound devices. You would select General MIDI or Sound Canvas for Music and Sound Blaster for sound effects.

So knowing this, you just need to configure DOSBox or ScummVM accordingly. Now Dagger of Amon Ra isn't on GOG yet, so I don't have a copy. But you can try Space Quest 1 VGA or any other newer Sierra or Lucasarts game like Sam and Max or Day of the Tentacle.

Or one of the hacked drivers that allows Roland or GM music with SB sound for a few SCI0-SCI1 games, even if not Yamaha.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 6, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The answer is, yes, it's possible. But games like Space Quest 1 VGA that someone referenced earlier in this thread, will NOT work, because they are not designed for General MIDI. Only games which separate MIDI (MU50)for music and digital sound (Sound Blaster) for SFX will work. In Sierra-land, Quest for Glory 4 would be an example. Basically, any natively General MIDI supported game *should* work, some early GM games may not, but a vast majority should. No MT-32 game should work.

For Sierra, you can refer to my list, I believe all games designated as General MIDI should work. Some late MT-32 games where GM support was added will work also, although for optimal sound it is recommended to use a MT-32 (or MUNT):
http://www.sierramusiccentral.com/assorted/Hardware.doc

(I believe these 4 games are the only qualifiers under [Some late MT-32 games where GM support was added will work also..]
Laura Bow II: The Dagger of Amon Ra
Police Quest I: In Pursuit of the Death Angel (SCI Remake)
Quest for Glory: So You Want to Be a Hero (SCI Remake)
Space Quest IV: Roger Wilco and the Time Rippers- maybe CD version only?
There is possibly some games with after-market support that would also qualify for this list, such as Eco Quest 1. But again, it's a MT-32 game, so MUNT would be the preferred option, along with your Sound Blaster.)

Reply 6 of 6, by Listomefisto

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you very much! I managed to play music through the MIDI module using a pair of speakers and digitilized voices using another pair of speakers through the Sound Blaster and It worked perfectly! 😀