VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello, I just installed Rayman from the original CD in my new made DOS 7.10 machine with a Celeron CPU (even though the game says it's a Pentium 6).
I managed to play a game and then I shut down to plug the cable from the CD-ROM drive to my CT3670 for CD music and now I hear the music, but as I launch the game the keyboard stops working, it keeps its numlock led on, but whatever key I press just doesn't work anymore and I have to reboot from the power button on my case, then the keyboard works again until I launch Rayman again.
What could the issue be ? I'm using a PS/2 keyboard and it still works fine on whatever other game except Rayman…
No problems on the Olivetti M4 454 S (Intel 80486 CPU) though, but I can't fit an IDE CD-ROM drive in it and I can't listen to Rayman's beautiful soundtrack 😢

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 1 of 3, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Elia1995 wrote:

I managed to play a game and then I shut down to plug the cable from the CD-ROM drive to my CT3670 for CD music and now I hear the music, but as I launch the game the keyboard stops working, it keeps its numlock led on, but whatever key I press just doesn't work anymore and I have to reboot from the power button on my case, then the keyboard works again until I launch Rayman again.

Hi,
I'm not one of the experts, but I can tell you your game crashed and the problem has nothing to do with the keyboard.
I've had games do this, especially those that use CD audio. They freeze and won't take any kind of input from either keyboard or mouse, but the music keeps going.

I don't have this particular game and don't know why the game would freeze with the audio cable connected but not when the cable isn't connected. The closest thing I can think of is "The Arrival" freezing when CD audio was enabled on a computer with Windows 98, but not on a computer with Windows 95. Without CD Audio enabled, the game played correctly in Windows 98. However that was a Windows issue and you say you're using DOS.

Did you reconfigure the game sound after adding the CD audio cable?
Have you tried configuring CD audio without other sounds?

Reply 2 of 3, by Elia1995

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well... actually I don't remember if I ran the sound setup again after I plugged in the cable... I'll do one the next time I go to my other home (where all my "vintage" stuff currently is... I hope to bring them here as soon as possible).

What do you mean by "configuring CD audio without other sounds" ? That game only has a single sound setup which can auto-detect the sound card (in my case a CT3670) or pick one from the list, it doesn't even have a separate music and SFX setups like other games such as Duke Nukem 3D, Blood, Raptor, etc...

Unfortunately I can't try with other games because Rayman is (probably) the only game I have with CD music 😢

Currently assembled vintage computers I own: 11

Most important ones:
A "modded" Olivetti M4 434 S (currently broken).
An Epson El Plus 386DX running MS-DOS 6.22 (currently broken).
Celeron Coppermine 1.10GHz on an M754LMRTP motherboard

Reply 3 of 3, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Perhaps you should try one of the CD audio players from http://www.opus.co.tt/dave/sound.htm ?

I'm not sure what you mean by "plug the cable from the CD-ROM drive to my CT3670 for CD music". Are you using an IDE interface on the sound card?