VOGONS

First post, by s0ren

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Im a total noob when it comes to IPX (Im too young to have worked with anything else than TCP/IP, though i once tried a serial direct connection) so i have some questions that are probably hilariously simple.

I have 4 DOS computers that i would like to link together for network play (GTA and DOOM for instance), but i have no idea how to. I have a regular modern TCP/IP network at home (netgear nighthawk R7000) but i dont mind making a dedicated network for these machines (which would probably also be safer for them).

Can i just connect them with a regular (albeit modern) switch or do i need a machine acting as DHCP server or an IPX router or other special hardware?
Could i use my existing home network?
What is the easiest way?
Can the same physical network also have TCP/IP to fake an internet connection for windows 98 intranet web browsing? (will set up a raspberry pi as web server)

Ps. I have switches, routers, and raspberry pi'es on storage if they can be of use

Reply 1 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. This forum is for DOS games on modern systems.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 8, by kreats

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It could be a modern system running DOS?

I recall you had to run some software on each computer, then you can talk IPX. Something like this. An IPX driver for a modern card could be a problem - maybe use an older PCI one.

So long as they are on the same physical network you shouldn't have any probs.

Reply 4 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kreats wrote:

It could be a modern system running DOS?

Then in Milliways since this is not about a DOS game. Respect the database.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 8, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

For IPX gaming you can use the usual hubs and Ethernet cabling. The key is to have an IPX network card driver for DOS which may not be available with modern gear.

1+1=10

Reply 7 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This should help you
MSDOS 6 Networking.

And yes you can run IPX and TCP over the same setup. In fact I would recommend it! File sharing over IPX in DOS is a pain to setup, TCP is much easier