VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by wallaby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I'm trying to install a Sound Blaster 16 PnP into an ASUS socket 3 motherboard. I currently have an AMD 5x86 running at 133mhz. Whenever I install the card, the mhz goes a little crazy. Most of the time it reports 64mhz. Once it reported 240mhz (?!)

I have a Roland midi card, a Gravis Ultrasound, and a PCI video card with no trouble. I've never had an issue where an ISA card changes the CPU clock. Any ideas?

I had the card installed in a Biostar motherboard before I destroyed the motherboard trying remove that hateful battery. So I'm pretty sure it's working fine.

Reply 1 of 2, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How are you determining that your CPU speed is changing? From the POST screen at bootup? Try running Speedsys or some other diagnostic to confirm whether it's actually changing.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 2 of 2, by wallaby

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

From the post screen. Since it was incorrect, I turned off the PC before it completed starting up.

I fixed this issue by removing the Gravis Ultrasound. Starting the PC with only the SB16. Then turning it off and reinstalling the Ultrasound. They both work independently now.

Star Control 2, the only reason I was curious about the Gravis, doesn't work with it though. Only the SB16. I think this is par for the course when dealing with DOS PCs. 😀