VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BSF2015

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What is the program to make a new Pacman game???

Reply 7 of 19, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BSF2015 wrote:

I don't know, so give me a tutorial about making a Pacman game on DOS

There are many resources across the Internet that will teach you much better than here. What you need is a tutorial on basic DOS game development.

Google is your friend.

Coming here unannounced and demanding that we write a tutorial on DOS game development, which is a very complex subject and would require a lot of work to explain properly, is bad enough. You're not only doing that, you're also demanding that we give you specific instructions on how to make a specific game, i.e. PacMan, which would require even more hard work. Don't just expect someone to do that for you. We can always point you in the right direction, but writing specific and comprehensive instructions? No. That's not what this forum is for anyway.

This is like asking a stranger to write you a calculus textbook and then do your homework assignments as examples.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.

Reply 8 of 19, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A start might be to get QBasic and look at the example program called nibbles.bas which is usually bundled with it iirc. It has similar functionality to what a PacMan clone might require. You will need to learn some BASIC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASIC, which most programmers have no doubt come across in their lives so its a good start. Probably easier to write a PacMan clone from scratch, but nibbles framework may give a nice basis/engine to build on or fudge about with to get some "wakka wakka wakka wakka ... WOOO WOoo wooo" action.

Apologies for the bad PacMan phonetics there, couldn't resist.

Reply 10 of 19, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, start with ASCII 'graphics'. Text mode games are the simplest to do. Forget about sprites or line drawing. See if you can get a letter 'C' character moving about the basic 80x25 textmode screen using the cursor keys. That's the first step.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 11 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BSF2015 wrote:

Where's the Pacman MS DOS Source Code??

On the Internet. 😜

Someone out there has probably written a game like Pac-Man for MS-DOS and has provided the source code, and you can probably find it if you spend enough time using Google with the right search terms.

EDIT: A search for allegro pac-man game source turns up many useful hits. (Allegro is a library often used in making MS-DOS games.)

Never, ever make a public release something based on someone else's code without giving credit to the original author.

Last edited by Jorpho on 2016-11-22, 21:05. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 13 of 19, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ZZT is your best bet in my opinion. It's old, but it's dos, with a MDA charset display, compatibility is universal, and it has a quite popular OOP language (Sorta) called ZZT-OOP of which numerous tutorials exist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZZT

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZZT-oop

You however seem to have forgotten that programming a game, even one as simple as Pac-Man is not a matter of a few lines of code and boom. While ZZT makes it easier, it's not going to be a simple task. There is a learning curve, and not a small one either.

Reply 19 of 19, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If I'm not mistaken, Mr. leileilol is referring to Gary Accord, previously mentioned in threads such as Re: Virtual Reality Studio/3D Construction Kit games . As I understand it, he has a habit of putting together generally terrible games (sometimes stealing other people's assets, apparently) using game-creation engines and then spamming them wherever he can.