VOGONS

Common searches

Do you play games off of their CDs?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 63 of 70, by TheDosPlace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

Necroposting is frowned upon here.

Well stop doing it. This thread is old enough! 😉 <joke>

But seriously though, I didn't consider the thread to be *too* old and couldn't find the solution to this problem elsewhere, so I thought I would just post out of courtesy since I spent a lot of time finding the solution and wanted to help other budding VOGONS users.

p.s. Serious question: Why? I had a quick Google and the general consensus is "don't necropost if you're only bumping to say thank you", but "do necropost if you have valid information to share", which I did.

Dave

^Dave from TheDosPlace
http://www.facebook.com/TheDosPlace

Reply 65 of 70, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TheDosPlace wrote:

p.s. Serious question: Why? I had a quick Google and the general consensus is "don't necropost if you're only bumping to say thank you", but "do necropost if you have valid information to share", which I did.

Can't speak for others, but speaking as a VOGONS founding member and moderator, we have threads you could still technically post to that date all the way back to 2002. But if you did, I would probably reach through the Internet to strangle you, and if you kept it up, I would probably ban you. 😉

Here's what I said about it last (which has more links to follow):
Re: What happened

</IsOld> </getoffmylawn>

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 66 of 70, by TheDosPlace

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stiletto wrote:

Here's what I said about it last (which has more links to follow):
Re: What happened
</IsOld> </getoffmylawn>

Hi Stiletto,

I've just had a read through your links and generally agree with you, especially with the really old threads. I will try my best to only reply to old posts (<1 year) if my answer is relevant or if the thread was originally started by me. In the case of this thread, I think my answer was justified (I even got a thank you via PM from one of the thread participants).

If you don't mind me asking though, if a dim view is generally taken on necroposting of threads that are older than 2-3 years, why is the option to reply even still active? Surely there must be some option for auto-locking posts of a certain age. Or does the forum not support it?

You're always going to get some new user who finds an old thread via google and replies to say thank you without knowing the rules.. why not stop them before they do? Currently, it's like leaving your door to your house open at night and hoping no-one is going to steal anything because you told them not to in a message on the back of a picture behind the sofa...

Dave

^Dave from TheDosPlace
http://www.facebook.com/TheDosPlace

Reply 67 of 70, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheDosPlace wrote:

Hi Stiletto,

I've just had a read through your links and generally agree with you, especially with the really old threads. I will try my best to only reply to old posts (<1 year) if my answer is relevant or if the thread was originally started by me.

I'm the thread starter and I've replied. That makes the rest of these posts okay now. <duck>

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 68 of 70, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

virtualcd 1.0 works fine on win95, but does not support copy-protected software. I tested moto-racer (mixed data, audio-tracks).
I think there is no way to get game-cd's as mountable files without cracking the copy-protection which is illegal as we all know.

I like virtualcd 1.0 very much, because it's very easy to produce an image and to mount it afterwords.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 69 of 70, by 95DosBox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
clueless1 wrote:
PhilsComputerLab wrote:

I burn pretty much every GOG game that has ISO or BIN/CUE and gives a full installation CD/DVD. Many games run straight from a folder, like Unreal or UT for example. Getting the CD Audio is part of the reason, but also the experience of installing the game.

I have many originals as well and don't mind inserting the CDs. I don't really game that much, it's mostly benchmarks and demos, and I have them all ready to go on a network share as well as a USB flash drive.

Is there a list somewhere of GOG games that are installable to retro DOS PCs? Or do they all pretty much have this ability (assuming they were originally for the MS-DOS platform)? I'd buy off of GOG every time if I knew the game would be installable to pure DOS.

That's a big problem on GOG. I asked about this before to include the original source media and most of the people don't care. They only want to make the game support the latest OS which in this case they are still supporting Windows 7 leaning toward 10 now. They are already not supporting the XP version of the installer. It is basically hit or miss you might get all of the original files. I wanted to help them include just the original DOS disks or CDs rather than integrated into their Windows installer package as a separate download link. A lot of times they removed or don't include the original setup or install program that came with it. This means you can't select a different video card or specific sound card or configure it and often times it defaults to whatever GOG had set it for. Since I amassed a huge library of the DOS games it bothered me when I decided to buy their digital version that they were butchered versions. In this case you got to go to eBay to get the original media. Some of the Sierra games still retained the manual copy protection such as KQ4. Annoying. I had to resort to my original and crack it.

dr.zeissler wrote:

virtualcd 1.0 works fine on win95, but does not support copy-protected software. I tested moto-racer (mixed data, audio-tracks).
I think there is no way to get game-cd's as mountable files without cracking the copy-protection which is illegal as we all know.

I like virtualcd 1.0 very much, because it's very easy to produce an image and to mount it afterwords.

This was my go to program back during Starcraft 1 days. It made the whole keeping the Starcraft BW disc inserted in the drive possible without physically being there. I liked the animation of it inserting a fake CD.

Reply 70 of 70, by B24Fox

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PhilsComputerLab wrote on 2016-01-26, 11:30:
Anyone else you doesn't have luck with playing CD Audio tracks in Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120%? […]
Show full quote

Anyone else you doesn't have luck with playing CD Audio tracks in Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120%?

I might have a workaround and need some testers please.

EDIT:

This is what worked for me on a Slot 1 Pentium III with Matrox G550 and Vortex 2 PCI card as well as Netgear PCI NIC.

- I installed Windows 98
- Installed chipset drivers
- Installed graphics drivers
- Installed sound drivers
- Device manager > Moved DVD drive to letter O:
- Installed Installer 2.0 (Daemon Tools 3.47 needs that)
- Installed Daemon Tools 3.47
- Mounted various BIN/CUE games > confirmed that CD Audio tracks don't play (HDD activity shows streaming going on, but no sounds)
- At this point I haven't installed DirectX!

To get Audio CD tracks playing in OpenGL games, such as Quake or Quake II, I ran DXDIAG > select audio tab > move acceleration slider all the way to the left, then press the "test audio button" and complete all tests.

At this point, GLQuake and Quake II played the Audio CD tracks.

Now to play D3D games I installed DirectX7. This broke Audio CD playback again 🙁

To get it working again I did:

- Downloaded that Unoffical SP3
- Installed the core updates > reboot
- Installed DX9.0c > reboot

After this you can do the same workaround with DXDIAG as above and now Audio CD tracks play in OpenGL and D3D games. I tested GLQuake, Quake II and Incoming.

The Vortex drivers are the recommended 2041 drivers (VXD).

I am still not 100% confident about this workaround, and some steps might not be necessary. For example I didn't try just installing DX9 (it actually didn't work for me without the core updates) and I didn't try DX8 for example.

Also, before I figured all that out, I did try various sound cards:

VXD drivers: Audican 32 Plus with Yamaha chipset, Vortex 2 and Sound Blaster 16
WDM drivers: Creative SB PCI (Audio PCI) and Audigy LS

None of them worked. So I don't think VXD / WDM drivers are the root cause. I think it's more a communication issue between Daemon Tools and the OS, which might require DX9 files or files from the core update files?

Anyway, hopefully others could give this a shot if you have the time 😁

I understand that this is as "necro" as it gets.. BUT:

For anyone else struggling with this issue, i can confirm the following solution:

For Win98SE, with Daemon Tools 3.4.7 set as D:\ , with VXD audio drivers; In-Game "Redbook Audio" did NOT work with DirectX 7.0a, but worked fine with DX8.1b !!
With Dx7.0a I also tried an Audigy 2 ZS with WDM drivers, and it didn't work. So lack of WDM drivers isn't the cause.
(Also, playing the ISO with the W98 music player, always worked, no matter what.)

Thank you Phil for pointing towards the DirectX direction!

Also for anyone interested, changing partition or HDD letters in Win98, can be done with "Letter Assigner v1.2.0".
I don't remember where i got it from, most probably from another user here, but I will also attach it here for anyone who needs it.
(For changing physical CD-Rom letter, you can do it from device manager, you don't need this program)

Attachments