VOGONS

First post, by ervty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I ran Starcontrol 2 from using DOSBox. Everything seemed to be running fine, but the color kept getting screwey.
color2sm.jpg
color3sm.jpg

So, I'll try to give as much information as I can as told by the forum guidelines Topic 2929

System:
Here's what my computer properties says:
Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Computer:
Intel[R]
Pentium [R] 3 CPU 3.00 GHz
2.99 GHz, 512 MP of RAM

Game: Starcontrol 2
Description of problem: Whenever the game switches to a new screen, like from solar systems to hyperdive, or hyperdrive to deep space encounter for example, the screen switches to random colors.
Reproducability: Every time I play
Played on DOSox Shell v0.63

that's as much as I know
Steps to solve problem: None. I'm stumped.

There were some of the guideline things I didn't understand, but if you need them, just ask and tell me how to find them. I hope this was enough information to solve the problem.

Reply 1 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think you need to use a command-line parameter: /g:bios

e.g. starcon.exe /g:bios

😎

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 8, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

or download the cvs version of dosbox.
it's fixed there.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 8, by ervty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't really understand either of the replies. First, how do I use a command line parimeter? Second, where can I get this "cvs version of DOSBox"?

Reply 4 of 8, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I see you are not familiar with ms-dos.

At the c:\> prompt, just type the name of the executable used for running the game, a space, and then the parameter.

C:\>star /g:bios

If you are using a front-end, you may need to specify the parameter elsewhere.

You could even create a batch file that calls the appropiate command for you.

BEGIN --- COPY HERE ---
star.exe /g:bios
END --- PASTE INTO NOTEPAD. SAVE IT IN THE GAME FOLDER AS PLAY.BAT ---

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 8, by ervty

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, using dosbox, it sounds like in order to do that, I'd have to first mount g drive, and I'm not sure how to mount that.

Anywho, I got the modern remake of Star Control 2, and couldn't be happier. Probably the best thing ( besides perfect color) is I don't have to name stars at the beginning to start playing. So, I no longer need to worry about trying to get the original verson to work.

Problem solved, in a roundabout way I guess.

Reply 6 of 8, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, /g:bios has nothing to do with a file on the g: drive. The "g" stands for "graphics" and tells the game to use a different way of talking to the virtual video card.

Reply 7 of 8, by Anhaedra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is also a remake of Star Control 2 for Windows called The Ur-Quan Masters.

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

"Please flee in terror in an orderly manner."

Reply 8 of 8, by Ze_ro

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not entirely sure what causes this problem, but it's not necessarily a bug in Dosbox... I had this same problem running Star Control II on an actual DOS machine I set up for myself, and adding /g:bios fixes it on actual hardware too. In fact, I couldn't figure out how to fix it until I managed to find this forum! I guess sometimes Dosbox is a little TOO accurate...

I just recently bought the 3DO version of the game though, so I doubt I'll be playing the DOS version much anymore.

--Zero