VOGONS

First post, by JustRob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I picked up this old PC and installed Windows 98 SE on it, wanting to use it for mainly dos games. But I'm a total newb and maybe I made a wrong decision.

This old thing has integrated VIA AC'97 sound, which I found doesn't work well for most dos games.

However, I did get it to work with some. Jazz Jackrabbit and Extreme Pinball both work when I select any of the Sound Blaster options in the Setup program, and Rayman 1 works if I use the auto detect thing it has built into the game itself, it then selects the Sound Blaster Pro sound card.

Then there's Doom. If I run the setup program and select Sound Blaster for the music, I still won't hear any music. But, sound effects work fine.

Skunny (I dunno if anyone even knows that game) refuses to play music even if I select Sound Blaster in the setup program, but like Doom, it plays sound effects fine.

Then there's Skyroads, which doesn't come with a setup file whatsoever, and doesn't offer any in-game configuration options. Once again, no music, but sound works fine.

So it seems that for most games music is the problem while sound effects generally always work.

I guess my question is, is there any way to get music to work across the board for all of my dos games? It seems really finnicky.

Reply 1 of 20, by Osprey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Doom uses MIDI music. Those other two games may, as well. That could be your issue. Perhaps you should try to find some old VIA drivers to install.

Last edited by Osprey on 2017-08-23, 02:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 20, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doom also uses FM music which is what's being configured by choosing "Sound Blaster" for your music device. This could be a case of FM not working or the volume for that channel not being turned up.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 3 of 20, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. This forum is for old Windows games on modern systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 20, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
collector wrote:

This forum is for old Windows games on modern systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

MTCRQ6Sl.png

One thing does not agree with the other.

Reply 8 of 20, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you give us more information about your setup? Like what motherboard you're using and if you're running DOS games in Windows or from DOS (Exit to DOS or boot directly to DOS).

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 20, by JustRob

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think this is the motherboard:

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/luna.htm

Also I'm running dos games in Windows, I tried to boot into dos directly but then I can't get anything to work at all.

Reply 10 of 20, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AC97 works in Windows quite well and in Dos while running under Windows98, BUT in plain Dos I did not get anything to work.

Here is my advice:

Deactivated the AC97 Sound an put this Pci-Soundcard into it: Terratec ESS Solo-1 ES1938S TTSOLO1-S Ver 1.1
terratec_solo1s.jpg

It MUST be this card, no other.

Then buy that MIDI-Module http://www.serdashop.com/waveblaster and put it on the card.

Then you have:
- The best possible Solution for MSDOS. You have Dos-Drivers and therefore you have FM everywhere and it sounds pretty good.
- You also have SBpro Emulation and a lot of Games/Demos/Intros, especially the old ones that support only 8Bit-Dac work just fine, but not all.
- You also have Win3x Drivers as well, so "dingeling" in Windows 😀
- You have great sounding general-midi as well, and if you like use emm386 and use softmpu with the mpu401-interface.

I also recommend getting an Lpt-Dac on you LPT1 and connect it to the Line-In of the Terratec. I also a a Dos-Mixer to get all sources als loud as I want.

Best PCI solution I found out yet.

Greetings
Doc

Last edited by dr.zeissler on 2017-08-23, 17:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 13 of 20, by Kamerat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dr.zeissler wrote:
AC97 works in Windows quite well and in Dos while running under Windows98, BUT in plain Dos I did not get anything to work. […]
Show full quote

AC97 works in Windows quite well and in Dos while running under Windows98, BUT in plain Dos I did not get anything to work.

Here is my advice:

Deactivated the AC97 Sound an put this Pci-Soundcard into it: Terratec ESS Solo-1 ES1938S TTSOLO1-S Ver 1.1

It MUST be this card, no other.

Then buy that MIDI-Module http://www.serdashop.com/waveblaster and put it on the card.

Then you have:
- The best possible Solution for MSDOS. You have Dos-Drivers and therefore you have FM everywhere and it sounds pretty good.
- You also have SBpro Emulation and a lot of Games/Demos/Intros, especially the old ones that support only 8Bit-Dac work just fine, but not all.
- You also have Win3x Drivers as well, so "dingeling" in Windows 😀
- You have great sounding general-midi as well, and if you like use emm386 and use softmpu with the mpu401-interface.

I also recommend getting an Lpt-Dac on you LPT1 and connect it to the Line-In of the Terratec. I also a a Dos-Mixer to get all sources als loud as I want.

Best PCI solution I found out yet.

Greetings
Doc

Actually the integrated VT1611A should work in DOS by itself, but the FM synth isn't very good. Also the Solo-1 should work even better than it does on your system, so no need for a LPT-DAC.

gdjacobs wrote:

Hopefully the Solo-1 runs with DDMA!

It should do by default. 😀

DOS Sound Blaster compatibility: PCI sound cards vs. PCI chipsets
YouTube channel

Reply 15 of 20, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dr.zeissler wrote:

mine works fine with TDMA

Good, but DDMA is better. No base memory consumed. 😀

Reply 19 of 20, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm... shouldn't the TSR consume a bit of RAM when doing TDMA? DDMA and PC/PCI have no resident component, I believe.