VOGONS

First post, by Televicious

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So the MT-32 emulation on the AWE64 is working in other games like stunts and duke nukem 3d, but early SCI AGI games it either locks up on a black screen with the white arrow or it will say music hardware cannot be initialized. I'm just curious if anyone has gotten these working with the AWE64 or 32 or is it just a known incompatibility? I've tried different AWEUTIL's tried in straight DOS and win 98. tried with sierra patched mt32 drivers. tried using GM emulation. Tried a special sierra audio driver that is said to be able to use any multitimbral instrument. Is it the MPU401 emulation or just the bad mt32 emulation? It works with an SC-88 plugged in with MPU-401 cables, but not the EMU chip. Really weird. I've read in posts on here on configuring autoexecs and tried them. I thought I had it working a couple years ago, but had my dos machine in storage for a long time and have been trying to crack this mystery.

Reply 1 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ask old hardware and driver/configuration questions in Marvin. This forum is for DOS games on modern systems. Marvin, the Paranoid Android

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 6, by Televicious

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I mean it's pretty modern. 1.4 Ghz 512Mb RAM and the latest soundcard that had multiple hardware synthesizers built in. I could install windows vista on it. In the grand scheme I'd say it's as modern as any computer.

Reply 3 of 6, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The AWE64 is over 2 decades old. It is an ISA card. If you are talking about editing the autoexec.bat you are most likely not even talking about running on NTVDM, let alone Win2k or later much less a supported version of Windows.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 5 of 6, by RJDog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Televicious wrote:

Is it the MPU401 emulation or just the bad mt32 emulation? It works with an SC-88 plugged in with MPU-401 cables, but not the EMU chip.

Yeah, bad MT-32 emulation. Specifically, a real MT-32 has programmable voices and other features which are not emulated well or at all on anything but a real MT-32 (or MUNT which has specific purpose to emulate those features). I have an AWE32, which has the same MT-32 "emulation"... I mean, it has the factory voices of an MT-32, but that's it. It is totally useless to older programs that are designed to use a real MT-32 (like old Sierra and Lucas Arts games).

Reply 6 of 6, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1) As above, wavetable emulation of the MT-32 generally only replicates the default voice set. Certainly that's the case for Crystal/Dream soundfonts as well as Roland Sound Canvases. Some titles only require the default voices, so they sound okay. Others program their own voices prior to playback.
2) The MPU-401 emulation TSR Creative provides likely does not do intelligent mode. SoftMPU will enable intelligent mode for the physical header and gameport, but the EMU chip is likely not supported.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder