VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Honestly not trying to be vague, cryptic or to test anyone. I honestly cannot find this game for the life of me, partly because I don't know the name of it.

When I was a kind in the early 90s in elementary school, I THINK the main OS at the time was Win 3.1 although they could have had Mac and I just didn't know about it. I vaguely recall using an interface that I'm not currently familiar with, which suggests either an older version of windows (1 or 2) or Mac but on the other hand it could have been a DOS/Win31 game.

Anyway the game is puzzle/math based, as many were in school. We had those track ball keyboards where the mouse was a giant ball built into it. The game probably used 16 color graphics. You would start out by picking whether you wanted to be a knight or a wizard and whether you wanted a sword or a wand as your primary weapon. Once you'd made that choice, the main game was literally a black screen. You were a cursor at the middle and you would randomly roll the track ball around to move the cursor away from center. This was a maze game, so if you moved the cursor in a direction where there was a path in the maze, it would be revealed and change color. By this method you would roll the mouse around and expose new areas of the maze. However once in a while you would move the cursor over a piece of maze that put you into battle.

Once in battle you'd be presented with some sort of still cutscene - a picture of an ogre or a dragon or something and there'd be some sort of a riddle or math problem or such that you had to solve. If you entered the correct answer, the knight/wizard would lower his arm in an attacking gesture (just another still, not animated) and the sword/wand would cause the enemy to explode and you'd get some gold I think. Then you'd go back to the map screen and continue rolling the mouse around to expose more maze.

What the heck is this game? I have never been able to find so much as a picture of it, yet it certainly does exist and would be very nice to add to my collection if I can find it.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer

Reply 2 of 3, by Gahhhrrrlic

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

🤣 I guess that makes this my 10 yr anniversary asking the same question. I'd totally forgotten about that. Looking back at that thread, it seems certain other members have migrated here as well. Clearly the infamous wizard/knight/maze game has been keeping me up at night.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Maximi … -Retro-Computer