VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by 3371-Alpha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know of a tool that can compare the contents of two directories and show the differences, if any, of similarly named files. I doesn't need it to tell me the exact differences of the similarly named files, hex editor can do that once I know which files. Also before anyone asks, I'm planning on using this tool to compare two separate versions of a dos game, before and after update which files changed.

Reply 1 of 11, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think Total Commander does a good job at that and gives you the easy tools right away

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 11, by 3371-Alpha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried it, only seams to be able to compare if one directory has files the other one doesn't. Maybe I should clarify, the game I'm studying, both versions have exactly the same files with same names. I want to find which of said files changed in the update. I could compare each file with the same name one by on in a hex editor if only there weren't 164 items I need to do so with.

Reply 3 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Synchronize directories on TC has got an option for binary comparing files (content).

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 11, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
3371-Alpha wrote:

Tried it, only seams to be able to compare if one directory has files the other one doesn't. Maybe I should clarify, the game I'm studying, both versions have exactly the same files with same names. I want to find which of said files changed in the update. I could compare each file with the same name one by on in a hex editor if only there weren't 164 items I need to do so with.

Not very practical but:

dir > blah1.txt
dir > blah2.txt

Import blah1 and blah2 into excel. Put your required formulas and conditional formating in place.

This is what I do 😊

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 5 of 11, by root42

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Beyond Compare. Commercial / Shareware. You need to spend 60 USD for the full version. Free trial is possible.

https://www.scootersoftware.com

I am all for open source, but a lot of colleagues swear on this piece of software. So you might want to give it a try.

YouTube and Bonus
80486DX@33 MHz, 16 MiB RAM, Tseng ET4000 1 MiB, SnarkBarker & GUSar Lite, PC MIDI Card+X2+SC55+MT32, OSSC

Reply 8 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

I think Total Commander does a good job at that and gives you the easy tools right away

eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Synchronize directories on TC has got an option for binary comparing files (content).

tayyare wrote:
Not very practical but: […]
Show full quote
3371-Alpha wrote:

Not very practical but:

dir > blah1.txt
dir > blah2.txt

Import blah1 and blah2 into excel. Put your required formulas and conditional formating in place.

This is what I do 😊

This is what I do as well. Worked for years now 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 11, by 3371-Alpha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Really? Documentation only mentions comparing two file at a time (Same a hex editor).

root42 wrote:

Beyond Compare. Commercial / Shareware. You need to spend 60 USD for the full version. Free trial is possible.

https://www.scootersoftware.com

I am all for open source, but a lot of colleagues swear on this piece of software. So you might want to give it a try.

Will look into it thank you.

tayyare wrote:
Not very practical but: […]
Show full quote

Not very practical but:

dir > blah1.txt
dir > blah2.txt

This is what I do 😊

Probably what I'll do if all else fails.

Reply 10 of 11, by xjas

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

FreeFileSync can compare a whole directory structure including subdirectories, and can find differences in files by size or content (probably using diff as a backend.)

twitch.tv/oldskooljay - playing the obscure, forgotten & weird - most Tuesdays & Thursdays @ 6:30 PM PDT. Bonus streams elsewhen!

Reply 11 of 11, by 3371-Alpha

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xjas wrote:

FreeFileSync can compare a whole directory structure including subdirectories, and can find differences in files by size or content (probably using diff as a backend.)

Thanks, worked like a charm!

I suppose I'll tell you guys now what I'm doing. I recently got back into Interplay's ol' M.A.X. As it just so happens though, there's an unofficial Russian-made patch for the game called 1.56. The problem? 1.56 is an abandonware distribution with the full game included, similar the what System Shock Portable once was. I've spent since last year sifting through the files in an attempt at making a legal version of 1.56, of which I've uploaded here. Thanks to you though I've been able to confirm my suspicions; in addition to the uploaded files, all the DESCR*.* files, the FONT5 file, MAX.RES and setup.exe are different in the 1.56 version.