VOGONS

Common searches

Sierra/Dynamix sound driver hacking

Topic actions

Reply 320 of 332, by C0deHunter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, where do I download the patch for SPACE QUEST 3, there seem to be various versions floating around these posts! I am confused!

Thanks!

PIII-800E | Abit BH-6 | GeForce FX 5200 | 64MB SD-RAM PC100 | AWE64 Gold | Sound Canvas 55 MKII | SoftMPU | 16GBGB Transcend CF as C:\ and 64GB Transcend CF D:\ (Games) | OS: MS-DOS 7.1-Win98SE-WinME-Win2K Pro (multi-OS menu Using System Commander 2K)

Reply 321 of 332, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hate to bring an old thread back from the dead here, but I have a question: how can I edit DRV files, like AUDBLAST.DRV, ADL.DRV, MTBLAST.DRV, or even BLASTER.DRV to get the Blaster hardware address changed from 220h to 240h? I have a SAAYM card (2x Philips 1099, 1x YM-2151 and YM-3012 DAC) set to 220h and the Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro (non-16) set to 240h to prevent conflicts and I need to know if there's a way to change the hardware address from 220h to 240h in those files?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 322 of 332, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-07-20, 07:55:

Hate to bring an old thread back from the dead here, but I have a question: how can I edit DRV files, like AUDBLAST.DRV, ADL.DRV, MTBLAST.DRV, or even BLASTER.DRV to get the Blaster hardware address changed from 220h to 240h? I have a SAAYM card (2x Philips 1099, 1x YM-2151 and YM-3012 DAC) set to 220h and the Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro (non-16) set to 240h to prevent conflicts and I need to know if there's a way to change the hardware address from 220h to 240h in those files?

I assume your are using the SAAYM just for GameBlaster compatibility?

It is possible to change the port to 240h for the drivers.

I went the other way and set my GameBlaster to 210h, and then i had all the Game Blaster games patched to 210h instead. Might have been the hard approach but now everyone can benefit from it:

CMS/Game Blaster game patching and setting a new standard!

Reply 323 of 332, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Huh. Didn't know that existed for CMS patching to a different space.

So use the MS DOS debug program to change the code from 220h to 210h and use the string for Secret of Monkey Island /g2x0 for the different address, correct?

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 324 of 332, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bjwil1991 wrote on 2020-07-20, 09:04:

Huh. Didn't know that existed for CMS patching to a different space.

So use the MS DOS debug program to change the code from 220h to 210h and use the string for Secret of Monkey Island /g2x0 for the different address, correct?

Yes, but i would recommend using a good hex editor, just makes things easier.

Reply 325 of 332, by Sunoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have been poking at this for ages and I can't figure it out. My copies of the Incredible Machine series do not have SIERRA.EXE in them, so the instructions make no sense for those games. To make sure I wasn't missing something, I checked every version that was on the Internet Archive, and none of them have SIERRA.EXE either...

I tried renaming TIM.EXE to SIERRA.EXE to see if that would help, but Sierra_patch.exe still says no game found.

Also, looking at the batch file makes no sense to me, because it makes a copy of SIERRA.EXE, runs UNLZEXE.EXE on it, then deletes the file UNLZEXE.EXE touched and moves the original file back? Shouldn't all those lines result in nothing happening?

I really could use some advice here, because as far as I can tell, the instructions for this patch could have never worked for anyone...

Reply 326 of 332, by Sunoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, I've solved it. Here is what you need to know if anyone else hits the problems I did. Ignore Sierra_patch.bat completely, it's just wrong and confusing.

For The Incredible Machine:

• Install game as normal
  • Copy SETBLAST.COM, TIM.EXE, and TIM.SX from NewRisingSun's patch over your install
  • Copy SX.OVL and Sierra_patch.exe from Tikalat's patch to your install directory
  • Run Sierra_patch.exe
  • Delete Sierra_patch.exe

For The Even More Incredible Machine:

• Install game as normal
  • Copy SX.OVL, TIM.SX, Sierra_patch.exe, and UNLZEXE.EXE from Tikalat's patch to your install directory
  • Run: UNLZEXE.EXE TIM.EXE
  • Rename TIM.EXENEW to TIM.EXE
  • Run Sierra_patch.exe
  • Delete Sierra_patch.exe and UNLZEXE.EXE

For The Incredible Machine 2:

• Copy the contents of both floppies to wherever you want the game installed
  • Run: UNCHUNK.EXE LANGUAGE\ENGLISH.INS .
  • Run: UNCHUNK.EXE COMPRESS.000 .
  • Run: UNCHUNK.EXE COMPRESS.001 .
  • Copy SX.OVL, TIM2.SX, INSTALL.SCR, RESOURCE.CFG, all *.DRV files, and Sierra_patch.exe from Tikalat's patch to your install directory
  • Delete COMPRESS.000, COMPRESS.001, GETKEY.COM, INSTALL.BAT, UNCHUNK.EXE, Sierra_patch.exe, and the LANGUAGE folder
  • Rename ~~~INST.EXE to INSTALL.EXE

I couldn't get Sierra_patch.exe to run under DOS, Windows 3.x, or Windows 9x, so I ran that program under a Windows 11 install. Since I was on that computer anyways, I did all other steps under DOSBox (the other programs wouldn't run natively under Windows 11) so I wouldn't have to transfer back and forth repeatedly. Then just burned a CD with the results to transfer the ready-to-run games over to my vintage computer.

Hopefully this helps someone, it was pretty frustrating trying to work all the details out.

Reply 327 of 332, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Apologies for falling way behind on this thread. I've updated the first post with what I believe to be a current list of links to drivers, tools, and other useful tidbits. Let me know if you feel I've missed anything.

Edit: Also fixed all links to actually jump to the correct posts.

Questions:
1. What are the differences between NewRisingSun's and tikalat's Space Quest 3 work?
2. For any of these that provide GM/GS support to formerly MT-32 only games or vice versa, has the reversed definition of MIDI stereo panning been accounted for?
3. Should any of this awesome work be flowed into ScummVM?

Reply 328 of 332, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote on 2022-10-01, 20:52:
Apologies for falling way behind on this thread. I've updated the first post with what I believe to be a current list of links t […]
Show full quote

Apologies for falling way behind on this thread. I've updated the first post with what I believe to be a current list of links to drivers, tools, and other useful tidbits. Let me know if you feel I've missed anything.

Edit: Also fixed all links to actually jump to the correct posts.

Questions:
1. What are the differences between NewRisingSun's and tikalat's Space Quest 3 work?
2. For any of these that provide GM/GS support to formerly MT-32 only games or vice versa, has the reversed definition of MIDI stereo panning been accounted for?
3. Should any of this awesome work be flowed into ScummVM?

1. Not sure, I'd have to read through the thread. I would imagine NRS's work is definitive.
2. I didn't think this was the case, no games have had added MT-32 or GM support from my memory? Have I forgotten something?
3. I think almost all of the fixes/improvements are gaming based, not for any other purpose, so they're definitely worth it in my view. However the Sound Canvas driver changes should be given a separate INSTALL option, since if you have a synth that doesn't do 16 channels for multitimbral mode GM, they won't work. Maybe 'Sound Canvas: 16 channel mode' or something.

Reply 329 of 332, by InterClaw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
marooned_on_mars wrote on 2013-11-04, 15:41:

I've been playing TEMIM a bit lately and I've noticed the sound effects repeat themselves when enabling SoundBlaster, haven't tried with IBM PS/1 neither did with TIM, but I will and I'll edit my post with my findings =)
It's a minor issue, but I thought about posting it.

EDIT: IBM PS/1 audio doesn't seem to work, and TIM works properly with the sound effects.

Did you ever find a solution to the above problem? I believe I have the same, or at least a very similar one.

I'm running the GOG version of The Even More Incredible Machine with this patch applied to it: https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file … e-gog2cd-patch/

I don't really care about the CD music, nor the fancier MIDI music. I'm fine with just Sound Blaster MIDI music, since I intend to run this on my 486, which just has a value SB16 card anyway.

I am however interested in the speech in between the levels that the above patch brings. This speech plays fine if I use the CD music, General MIDI, or MT-32. But if I set SB/AdLib or SB Pro, the music is fine, but the speech gets a very annoying "echo" effect starting from level 2. Note that the sound effects are still okay. It's just the speech that gets the echo. This is in DOSBox 0.74-3 btw.

Anybody know of a way to fix the speech while using Sound Blaster music?

Reply 332 of 332, by InterClaw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
crusher wrote on 2024-02-08, 08:32:

Did you try this fix linked in the first post?
Re: Sierra/Dynamix sound driver hacking

Yes. With it applied, it freezes the game on the start screen for the first level (i.e. after the intro). Or at least the mouse pointer isn't moving. I don't hear any difference in the MIDI either, but that might just be me not having a keen enough ear towards all the instruments and whatnot. I also don't hear the speech at all with that fix.