Topic actions

Reply 20 of 21, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Garrett wrote:
collector wrote:

I don't know what that crack does, but it may not be necessary if the game is properly installed. As I said, I can do a replacement installer if anyone is interested. It would be one way to test that it working for me without the crack/patch is not a fluke.

I wasn't able to replicate your results on Windows 7 64-bit.

I compared the registry keys from the original installer (in a 32-bit XP virtual machine) with an install done using the 32-bit InstallShield replacement EXE (on 64-bit Windows 7). The resulting keys and their locations are identical to XP apart from the usual Wow6432Node redirection for some HKLM keys storing the version number. Loading saves from the file system works perfectly, but loading or saving from within the game causes the crash.

That's exactly what happened here. The patch solved it and can be found somewhere in this forum (I attached it in another thread).

Reply 21 of 21, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just to see if the replacement installer was missing something I deleted all registry entries and did a clean install. While it did not redirect to Program Files x86, it installed enough of what the original 16-bit installer does to run. It still allowed me to edit, save and load cities without crashing. I wonder if there are simply bad copies for the game out there.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers