VOGONS

Dos games and 16mb of ram

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 52, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd also like to know which games do not work with XMGR. I've come across a few that won't run, but most of them just need EMS, in which case I reboot and load JemmEx.

Reply 41 of 52, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is it possible that a game checks for the presence of a certain memory manager (or even worse, a particular version of that) instead of the service it provides ? If it is, than it is a possible candidate for 3rd party failures.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 42 of 52, by PoulpSquad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

^ It's possible, but terribly short-sighted... for example, Windows 95/98/ME refuse to boot with anything else than Himem.sys for compatibility reasons. If you rename XMGR.SYS to Himem.sys Windows 98 will load happily. If you have 512MB+ you can use XMGR.SYS /T0 to flail Windows into submission (/T0 sees only 64 MB). Granted, it's not a game, but you get my drift.

One of the stranger games I've seen is JetFighter II. I *have* to put a commented out line that says EMM386 in my config.sys or it won't run. I can reproduce that on demand. It's strange because that game doesn't require EMS memory at all, and even if it did, it isn't getting it from a commented out, incomplete line in config.sys ^^

;EMM386
DEVICE=C:\DOS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\DOS\MOUSE.SYS

runs, remove ;EMM386 and it crashes at DISABLING MOUSE screen, just before entering a mission...

It also refuses to run if certain device drivers are loaded too high in upper memory... so to answer your question, yes, it's possible, DOS games are weird!

Reply 43 of 52, by Glitchologteam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

King of Fighter '97 is a game that require 64 MB of RAM to run on DOSBOX or else it will not work

http://www.youtube.com/user/SuperDave341?feature=mhee

My Youtube Channel for PC/DOS Gameplays, Mortal Kombat and Glitch Related Video

Reply 44 of 52, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. This is about real DOS pcs.
2. There is no DOS King of Fighters game

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 46 of 52, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Not only that, but there's never been a PC release ever

It did come to gametap at least and there's supposedly a Windows port of KOF'94 released in 2008. Also, some KOFs are coming to Steam, so don't say "ever" 😀

but I can guarandamntee there is no DOS KOF
and the "need 64mb" requirement highly implies some guy's lazy packing of a DOS MAME/RAINE with a rom. I've seen that happen to R-Type before.

the related series Fatal Fury did have a Windows release in 1996 for Fatal Fury 3. Still isn't a DOS game!

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 47 of 52, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doesn't Gametap run an emulator in your browser for vintage arcade games? If KoF is running emulated, then it's not technically a PC version.

Reply 48 of 52, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gametap used to have a client with online lobbies. They took that out when Turner sold it off. Still, it was a legal, official licensed releaase for the Windows platform, and you can bet the KOFs coming to steam are going to be emulated (with the exception of KOFXIII)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 49 of 52, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

KOF'97? In DOS?? ..........

And it requires 64MB of RAM?? ......

🤣 🤣

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 50 of 52, by Joey_sw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

DOS MAME did requires 64MB ram or more

-fffuuu

Reply 51 of 52, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

South Korea actually got a lot of PC ports that were never released anywhere else, and I'm pretty sure a lot of them were legal, too. (I think the fact that they had harsh restrictions on the import of Japanese goods for a long time had something to do with it.) It's quite likely they just consist of emulators, but I've never looked into it.

Reply 52 of 52, by ik777

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

South Korea actually got a lot of PC ports that were never released anywhere else, and I'm pretty sure a lot of them were legal, too. (I think the fact that they had harsh restrictions on the import of Japanese goods for a long time had something to do with it.) It's quite likely they just consist of emulators, but I've never looked into it.

No. the restriction were gone when some arcade games got PC port with emulation. It was early '90s time story.

http://www.dvd.co.kr/shop/shopdetail.html?bra … rch=&sort=order

And no DOS release.