VOGONS

Common searches

Elder Scrolls: Arena help me please!

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by NeoNinjaX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been playing this game for a long time. But when my computer crashed i had to re-install it. When i re-installed it i kept getting an error message saying, "Memory List Blown" then the game would go all multi-colored and exit. Please help me! I want to play this game again!

Edit: Im using Windows 98. Also, when i downloaded the demo, it worked perfectly fine if that helps.

Reply 1 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by NeoNinjaX "Memory List Blown"

*Gah* Congratulations you have found a real Memory Pig.

Did a search and this is what I've found from various Google posts:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You don't have quite enough base memory. Arena needs 600k for 1.04, 605k for 1.05 (which is much faster, clearer sound and more playable).

Sometimes also if you have been running Windows and exit to dos before running the game the screen will freeze up on throwing a spell or you will get a memory blown message. I talked to Bechesda Softworks personnel on Compuserve and they said sometimes The way Windows uses Memory interacts strangely with Arena and a clean boot before playing the game will avoid this problem.

The memory list blown error still haunted me for about a week when I realized that I needed as much conventional memory as possible. ...The problem almost always lies in the fact that you need as much conventional memory as is possible.

1. Maximise low memory. 615K (629,760 bytes) should be enough.

2. Maximise EMS. As much as you can get. 2 Megs will work, but 4 is better.

I have 630 free, and have gotten a memory list blown _once_ in about 100 hours of playing.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Before your do anything else, you should make sure you have Elder Scrolls patched up to v1.6

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/es1arena/#filelist

BTW, you might also check to see if your motherboard/chipset is compatible with UMBPCI.SYS.

Reply 4 of 6, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by NeoNinjaX I dont know why i did it but i did. Now the game screws up. Can i fix my game files? or do i need to delete them and start over?

I would back them up, then start over. From what I've seen, loading save games from a different version of a game (loading a 1.01 save into a 1.06 game, for example) always caused problems.

It might be possible to use your old save games, but they just aren't "trustworthy" anymore. Note that even the guy who had 630K of base memory said he had one of the crashes. You could probably make it more stable by disabling the audio, but that obviously, is no fun. But if you're desperate...

Reply 5 of 6, by Jackhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I try to run the DOS CD Version 1.7 (real system, DOS6.22), but get any time after the startup dungeon exit the "Insufficient Base Memory" Error.
My Base memory atm is 613KB with EMS 32MB. Im not sure if this is the 1.7 Version problem? I try to find the 1.6 but no luck.
Since the game is free, anyone have a 1.6 "DOS" CD image that i can try?

Dos 6.22: Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 Rev 2.0 1Mb L2 - AMD A5x86 X5 ADZ 133MHz @160MHz - 64MB RAM - CT2230 - GUS ACE - MPU-401 AT - ET4000W32P
Win98SE: Asus P5K-WS - E8600 @ 4,5GHz - Strange God Voodoo 5 6000 PCI @ 66MHz PCI-X - 2GB DDR2 1066 - Audigy 2 ZS