VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Snake785

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Everytime I go to play a game in a DOS box in XP, it freezes once it switches to full screen. I've tried it with Descent v1.0, 1.4, and 1.5. I have also tried it with Descent 2 v1.0. It happens with and without using VDMSound. However if I run the setup programs in a window they run fine (the sound is very slow but fine(even with speedset but I would think using full screen mode would greatly improve speed)). I'm running on a Celeron 700, 256MB RAM, Geforce 2 MX 32MB. I have gotten them to work before in Windows XP but I have no clue why it's happening now. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks! 😀

Reply 3 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snake785 ...I did....why does that break DOS or something? 😒

You said they were working before, but not now (freezing up). That implies some kind of change. You said it happens regardless of your two sound options (Native XP/VDMSound). That means it's not VDMSound.

One of the notes for DirectX 9 states the following:
The DirectX 9.0 runtime cannot be uninstalled. We recommend Windows Me and Windows XP users create a "System Restore" point before installing.

That implies that Microsoft is not confident of it stability on Me/XP.

Lastly, someone else on this board had a similar experience shortly after installing DirectX 9. It was cured by using a System Restore.
showthread.php?threadid=990

Reply 4 of 9, by Snake785

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, I see. Ok, I hope I made a restore point before I installed DX9...but I installed a LOT of stuff (like other drivers) after I upgraded (I recently formatted), wouldn't those settings be gone as well? I never really used a restore point before as I never needed it...

Edit: well since I reinstalled I didn't really test any DOS games before the upgrade to DX9 so I'm not sure that it did work before but it did on my older installation with DX 8.

Reply 5 of 9, by Snake785

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm...I just tried playing Raptor: Call of the Shadows and it worked great. Even when using VDMSound (and very quick I might add 😀 ). So I'm guessing that it's some sort of problem with Descent... 😒

*edit* Hmm...now Descent is working (pretty good speed too, I'm gonna try speedset to get the midi to play faster)....how odd...I guess Raptor somehow had something to do with it?

Last edited by Snake785 on 2003-01-10, 00:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 9, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds like a fluke issue. Sometimes things will just flake out, then mysteriously start working later. This is one constant that I've seen in computers. It seems unaffected by the level of technology.

Reply 8 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Sounds like a fluke issue. Sometimes things will just flake out, then mysteriously start working later. This is one constant that I've seen in computers. It seems unaffected by the level of technology.

True, When debugging on some now working games. I ran into the fact that some games rely on settings which are only set if you had just booted up. (memory being zero and such)

So rebooting might help some games.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!