VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Fisu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Discworld 2: Works great
Fantasy General: Works great after nolfb.com patch.
System Shock CD, Mok's exe: Works great
X-com 3 Apocalypse: -don't know yet if crashing is fixed-
Wing Commander 3: Works, some joystick problems
Privateer 2: Works, after using slowdown utility.

Also I might add that 640x480 mode needs mousectl.com for speeding up the cursor.

To be able to change vesa refresh rate one must make backup of radeon bios, edit it to support max 85Hz under vesa and then reflash. Worked great for me.

Hopefully this information is useful to the other guy who plays classic games with radeon on XP 😀

These are pretty much the VESA-games that I have played under WXP. I have installation of W98 too, but there VESA doesn't work at all with radeon, screen is little like multiplied 5x times horizontally. Good job ATI 🙁.

Last edited by Fisu on 2003-01-20, 19:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Snover He kept his nifty debugger extender in there...

? I haven't seen anything happen other than proper operation. Occasionally. I get "stuck key" syndrome but I'm pretty sure that's not related.

Reply 3 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also get the stuck key syndrome. I know that isn't related, though it is a pain in the arse and I wish someone could fix it (this definitely isnt the first game that's happened with). When I didn't run the game "DOS4GW.EXE CDSHOCK.EXE" and just ran "CDSHOCK.EXE" it crapped out a LOT. I uploaded the debug file that was generated to Mok and he told me to run it as above, and that fixed it. Oh, but you need DOS4GW which didn't come as a separate EXE with System Shock. 😀

Mok: Could you re-release the EXE using DOS4GW please? Thanks!

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 4 of 13, by Fisu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I apparently fixed the crashing problem with System Shock and X-com by unplugging my ET6000 videoboard. Microsoft dropped driver support to it from w2k->wxp so there wasn't much gain with having it anyway.

One last problem remains regarding VESA, refresh rate. Is there tool to alter VESA 2.0 refresh rates under Wxp?

Reply 5 of 13, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Fisu ...by unplugging my ET6000 videoboard. Microsoft dropped driver support to it from w2k->wxp

Funny. That's what my test rig is using (DOS titles really like it). Saw a "home-made" driver for XP somewhere, but wasn't willing to register with their board just to see if it worked.

Is there tool to alter VESA 2.0 refresh rates under Wxp?

Hrmm...
http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:KokR8kCp … &hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Haven't used these myself, but Axcel216 is a reliable source of information.

Reply 6 of 13, by Fisu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately all HZ tools there require Vesa 3.0, and radeon family has only 2.0. I wonder how big the difference is between the two.

EDIT: With bios flash 85Hz for standard vesa modes is possible.

Last edited by Fisu on 2003-01-20, 19:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 13, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had System Shock lock up my system HARD completely randomly. I was climbing to the top of a ladder and as I got there, pfft. Crash.
Argh. I swear, if I need to shell out for an Audigy 2 just to fix this fucking problem I'm going to sue, since the same thing happens with LAME as I've saidbefore. I suppose first I'll try getting some new RAM, since mine has a few bad memory addresses that could easily cause this.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 10 of 13, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Fisu wrote:

One last problem remains regarding VESA, refresh rate. Is there tool to alter VESA 2.0 refresh rates under Wxp?

Try PowerStrip from Entech-Taiwan?
http://www.entechtaiwan.com/
Latest Beta here:
http://www.entechtaiwan.com/files/psbeta.exe
Support forum here:
http://pub28.ezboard.com/bentech

Not sure if it'll work for you for what you want it to do, but it's worth a shot. Besides, you can always ask the guys in that forum for help. They're very helpful.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 12 of 13, by Mok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

You need to call Mok's System Shock EXE with DOS4GW.EXE as such:

DOS4GW.EXE CDSHOCK.EXE

He kept his nifty debugger extender in there and it fucks up a lot.

Nah, it's not my extender. It's an ex-commercial (now free) dos4gw replacement: causeway dos extender, used by quite a lot of games in the past 😀 It "fucks up" only lame machines anyway, here it works fine on both of my computers 😉

Well, it's really easy to replace an extender and I wrote a short info how to do it in another thread.

-Mok