VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by prod

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

I've got a fairly old laptop (Athlon Xp-M 2200+, 256mb RAM), and it's not strong enough to run most things in dosbox.

I've installed a copy of win98 on a secondary partition, and it's fine for some games, but I appear not to have installed EMS (expanded memory support).

Any idea on if I can download this from somewhere or how to set it up? Or an alternative? I've not got access to the win98 install disc anymore btw.

Many thanks for any replies! 😀

Edited by mirekluza: EMS is expanded memory... Extented memory is something completely different (XMS)..

Reply 2 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

EDIT CONFIG.SYS in the root folder of your W98 drive.

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DOS=HIGH

That's for booting into real ms-dos mode.

Inisde W98, Extended Memory is accessed via a PIF file for ms-dos programs. Just create a shorcut and edit its properties.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Make sure that your config.sys has these lines:

CONFIG.SYS
DEVICE=C:\Windows\Himem.sys
DEVICE=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=C:\Windows\EMM386.EXE RAM

If you still do not have EMS then you may have to specify additional EMM386 options.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Or your mainboard might need to have some unused devices in bios turned off (disabled), like SATA, USB, etc which may be taking up the space needed for creating the EMS page frame in physical memory. Do what DosFreak suggested first, go into ms-dos and type in MEM to see if you have any expanded memory available. If so, leave the bios alone.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)