VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Alikai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have to confess, I know just about nothing about this stuff. I am trying to play X-wing on XP. I have downloaded DOSBox ver 0.63. I read through the readmes and learned a little but they talk about things in the readme that are just foreign to me. I can't get the game to even run. When I open the exe file, it says that it can't find the game CD. When I run the install, it says that I need to run the installation from the CD. I don't have a cd for the game. I read the DOSBox readme file and it said I needed to mount the cdrom.

Q: The game/application can't find its CD-ROM.
A: Be sure to mount the CD-ROM with -t cdrom switch. Also try adding the
correct label (-label LABEL). To enable more low-level CD-ROM support add
the following switch to mount: -usecd #, where # is the number of your
CD-ROM drive reported by mount -cd. If you run Win32 you can specify -ioctl
or -aspi. Look at the description elsewhere in this document for their
meaning.

I followed the instructions and attempted to mount my cdrom. Heres what I did. C and D are partitions of my hard drive. E is my DVDrom and F is my CDRom.

mount C D:\oldgames
...gave me: Drive C is mounted as local directory D:\oldgames\
mount D F:\ -t cdrom
...gave me: MSCDEX installed.
...Drive D is mounted as CDRom.
C:
...takes me to C:\
cd xwing
...takes me to xwing folder
...(Heres another confusing bit of info, the exe file is called bwing.exe?)
bwing
...gives me:
...Can't find X-wing CD!
install

...gives me the installation menu but gives the above error saying I need to install from the CD.
What do I do? Sorry if I missed any pertinent information. Let me know and I'll be happy to post it.

Reply 1 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You might try a CVS build. I remember having problems with a CD version of XWing as well, but I think I was using a pirated CD at the time.

Another thing to try is copying the files from the CD to an empty folder on your hard drive and then mount that folder in DOSBox as a CD.

Reply 3 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Actually, try this:
- After mounting the CD the way you're doing it now, go to the D: drive and run the install program. Reinstall the game to the C: drive. Then try running it from the newly installed directory/folder (NOT from the one you already have it in!)

I suggest this because it's possible that you installed X-Wing with a different mount setup, causing it to look for the CD-ROM on a different drive letter than D:

If that doesn't work, then try the mount folder as a CD idea:
- Open the CD in a folder window (e.g. My Computer, then right-click F: and hit Explore)
- Open your C: drive in another folder window and make a folder named XWCD
- Browse into the XWCD folder
- Highlight all the files and folders on the CD (Ctrl+A)
- Hold the right mouse button and drag them all to the empty XWCD folder
- Choose Copy
- Make a sandwich
- Do the same as above, except instead of mounting the CD do this:
mount D C:\XWCD -t cdrom

Side note: They created BWING.EXE when they made the B-Wing expansion pack, which is included in the CD-ROM version. I'm not sure why they didn't just overwrite XWING.EXE instead...

Reply 4 of 10, by Alikai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That did the trick. All I had to do was set the cd rom to where the file was.

mount D D:\oldgames\xwing -t cdrom

Unfortunately now the sound won't work. Theres a sound configuration in the file and in the install screen which I ran with no problems. It found my sound card and played perfectly. For some reason though it won't save and the game doesn't see it. I really appreciate this.

Reply 5 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Make sure you actually install the game to another directory on the hard drive. It could be trying to run off of the CD, in which case it can't save your settings.

Also, be sure to mount both C and D drives every time you play, so that it can find both the CD-ROM and the files installed on your hard drive.

Reply 6 of 10, by Alikai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I went to install the game, it tells me I have to install from the cd which I don't have. The game opens however. Here are the commands I use.

mount C D:\oldgames
mount D D:\oldgames\xwing -t cdrom
c:
cd xwing
install

Sorry! and thanks!

Reply 7 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does it let you install anyways with these new mount settings? Just be sure to install it to somewhere other than c:\xwing in DOSBox (d:\oldgames\xwing on your real hard drive) so that the game doesn't get confused trying to tell if it's looking at the (virtual) CD files or the hard drive files.

Reply 8 of 10, by Alikai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The whole game seems to be installed on my hard drive at D:\oldgames\xwing . Even with the mount settings I used it won't let me use the install.exe . Do I even need to install since all of the files seem to be there? The sound just won't work.

Reply 9 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know what's going wrong. You may need to reinstall using the original CD (maybe you're using a pirated rip with the sounds removed for all I know). I also know that the game may be confused if it was originally installed to your hard drive (or whoever's you got it from) with different drive letters or directory names for the hard drive and/or CD-ROM than what you're trying to use.

Reply 10 of 10, by Alikai

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's an old copy that I've had on my hard drive forever. I copied the files to cd from my old comp and put them on my newer one and have had the file for a while now. I remember it working long ago. I didn't know I couldn't run it on XP until I tried then I found DOSBox and am where I am now. So...I guess I'm screwed. But thanks for your help!