VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by deadbabyofl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently (though I'm not sure how recently to be exact), I noticed that one of my favorite dos games, "UnReal World" stopped working. I quickly gave up on it, but after a few months I decided to give it another shot. I've done a bit of playing around, and here's what I've found to be the problem:

The game, upon running the executable, closes right away. The dos terminal opens up, goes full screen, and then closes. If I'm running in VDMSound, the terminal pops up that says that VDMSound has initialized successful, and then it says "Press any key to continue" like the program has finished running. Running in dosbox does the same thing, except that dosbox crashes as well as the game.

After a bit more sleuthing, I found that all of my DOS4GW games were doing the exact same thing. Granted, I only have two installed right now (X-com Apocolypse, and URW), both of these games used to work pretty much flawlessly. So I googled around a bit, and tried a number of VESA fixes, and other VDM-style utilities. Nothing seemed to work.

The most recent thing I tried was to replace dos4GW with DOS32A. When I try to run either of the games I have with DOS32A, I get the same error (It's error code 6001, I believe. The DOS32A says that there's a problem with the executable). Interestingly enough, if I try to run it with DOS32A through dosbox, the game returns a different error about not being able to allocate memory to a certain memory block.

As I said earlier, I haven't made any major changes to my PC (other than installing a game here or there), and I certainly haven't changed any of the components of my PC for quite some time. I'm really stumped as to what the problem could be. Does anyone know if DOS4GW outputs an error file anywhere? Does anyone else have any ideas for things I could try?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Reply 2 of 4, by deadbabyofl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got Tyrian 2000. I think that's still a dos program, and it "works" as good as it did before (the sound is bugged, and slows down the game significantly unless I play in dosbox).

I actually don't know if I've got any other dos games. Can you think of a dos4GW game that's freeware that I could try?