VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by VomitOnLino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello fellow abandonware friends - let's not fuss around long and come straight to the point - I have a problem with "Cannon Fodder" part 1 and 2. Whenever I start the game it just freezes the PC at a black screen and/or restarts. The intro plays just fine with music and sfx.

My specs :

P1 133 - Tried 133 / 100 / 75 / 12 and 8.2Mhz to no avail (the BIOS offeres a great array of options to maintain AT compatibility)
32MB of EDO RAM
S3 Trio 64+ PCI Onboard 2MB VRAM Graphics Card (I suspect this is the guilty part!)
Roland LAPC-I (HEX330)
Soundblaster 16 MCD ASP + Yamaha DB50XG (Non PnP IRQ5 DMA1,5 HEX220 MPU-HEX300)
Quantum 3.2GB Drive (2x2GB FAT16)
DOS 6.22 English (Tried with EMM386 and without, tried different mousedrivers (genius, logitech))

Anyone ?

And just asking generally what would be a more compatible PCI/ISA (VLB is not an option sadly) graphics card ?

Thanks for your time 😀

Reply 2 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm. That hardware setup should run Cannon Fodder 1 and 2 without problems. What are the contents of your CONFIG.SYS & AUTOEXEC.BAT files?

You should also try tinkering with more options in bios like...

+ Disabling external/internal cache(s) to physically reduce CPU speed.
+ Disabling all kinds of bios shadowing (even video shadowing)
+ Disabling video bios cacheable (nasty)
+ Disabling system bios cacheable (nasty)

Keep us posted on how it goes. 😎

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 4, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, that's a very impressive rig 😉

VomitOnLino wrote:

And just asking generally what would be a more compatible PCI/ISA (VLB is not an option sadly) graphics card ?

An ISA card based on the Tseng ET4000 chip usually runs everything from that era. It should be easy to obtain one for little or no money.

Other reasons I can think of why the game refuses to run:
- Copy protection issues (Are the games original or copied?)
- Too much memory (Try a big ramdisk to reduce memory to 4 or 8MB, or remove some of the EDOs if possible).
- Games incompatible with P5 instruction set (Some games won't run on a Pentium CPU - Can someone confirm this for these two games?)

Reply 4 of 4, by VomitOnLino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Whoa that's a bunch of replys thanks people I will try your suggestions one by one. And thanks for the positive feedback 😀

To the guy asking about running an P1 at 8Mhz - well the BIOS offers a switch that says "ENABLE AT COMPATIBILITY" and it does exactly that - it's really great for Wincommander 1, Paratroopers and the likes. The mainboard seems to be some Intel chipset dont ask wich one though - it seems to be a dell proprietary thing, but it never has meant any trouble besides those two games.

If I get some new results I will keep you updated here - tinkering with the settings now...

And yeah they are both orgininal games, CF1 (Disks) and CF2 (CD-ROM) its a miracle that the disks were still readable after all that time they spent in the mess that is my drawer... 🤣 .. yeah I ruled out CRC error by trying some not so "legal" (well legal for me) versions aswell...

Edit:
Well after messing around a bit with the BIOS, without any significant changes I just tought "What the hell.." yanked out the Voodoo 1 (forgot to mention that above) and put in the Matrox Mystique(shit) and to my surprise it worked, altough with very slight graphical anomalies (flickerling lower 1/20th of the screen when scrolling) - the problem is most of the other games seem to loathe this card and going ISA is not an option as I want to play "Descent" and the likes I want the most compatible system I can get without having 2-3 dosboxes around... any takers ?