VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure if this belongs to DOS or PC forum but I just hope somebody might know something about this little problem.
So, I've got a couple games on HP 110/150 diskettes. Namely, the games are Zork I and Deadline (both folio releases!) It is surprising that there were any games for that computer, given it's specs and purpose but I have these two as a proof (I also know for sure that there was also version of Planetfall but I don't have that one). Understandably, I want to see what's on the disks. The computer itself was running MS DOS 2.11 but the disk format was non-standard. Those two games came on 270K 3 1/2 diskettes. According to some sources, HP110 was the first computer to actually use 3 1/2 diskettes!
I've found some kind of driver by Sydex that is supposed to so what I need but I just get "device not ready" error. Did anybody have success reading HP110 disks on PC? Any hints, suggestions, clues, pointers, drivers?..

Reply 1 of 1, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Answering my own question. That Sydex driver works so does Anadisk, it just requires really old hardware. Ancient Zenith 486 laptop did the trick. Both disks are completely readable. I hoped to see unusual Infocom release numbers but no luck -- Deadline appears to be very common release 27, Zork I is release 75. HP110 was definitely DOS compatible to some degree -- the interpreter runs under DOSBox, just produces some garbage characters sometimes.