Common searches

First post, by owenm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First, system specs:

AMD Athlon 64 Processor
3500+
2.19 GHz, 896 MB RAM (1 GB really, but shared with video card)
MSI Radeon XPress 200 video card
RealTek AC'97 Audio card
Windows XP Media Center Edition
Warcraft I

Hope that's enough info. Let me know if it isn't. Anyway, here's the prob.

All of the files, including war.exe and setup.exe are on the HD in c:\program files\warcraft. I also applied the 1.21 patch with no problems. But when I run war.exe in DOSBox (latest version), the game says I must run setup.exe to avoid a copyright message. Then it asks me to input a code word from the manual (which I have, luckily). Once I put the word in, it starts Warcraft and everything's cool.
I'm just wondering if anyone found a way around this. I'd hate to have to keep referencing the manual every time I want to play. 😜

Second problem is that there's no sound or music in Warcraft. Doesn't really bother me as I like to blast Winamp when I play anyway, but would like to know if there's a fix for it anyway. I have it set to all of the default options for audio and video.
I heard somewhere that if you have the CD version of Warcraft, that all of the music is on the CD. But I'm not sure if that's what I have, since it doesn't ask me for the CD and because the sound doesn't work either.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Reply 1 of 2, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

a) Sound - almost every DOS game requires the proper sound configuration (SETUP/SETSOUND/INSTAL or whatever the cfg. utility is called).
b)Code words - you would need a crack. You will not get any information here about it!
c) DOSBOX questions should go to DOSBOX Games/Apps.

Mirek