VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by nostalgia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I'm new to the forums, and i first like to say that DOSbox works great for me, most games that didnt support music or sound suddenly did when ran through DOSbox. now onto the problem...

I've been tryin to install a game, called BLUEFORCE. as you may or may not know, the setup file was programed to have floppy disks that came with it when purchased inserted into the floppy drive. i no longer have the disks, but i have all the files from the disks backed up. what i normally could do is copy the data to a floppy disks (8 or 9 to be exact) and insert them at time of installation. However my floppy drive is shot and attempts to get it to work have failed... i believe you must first install this game before you can play it because when i ran BLUE.exe (the game file itself) through DOSbox it just crashed immediatley with no indication of the error that caused, though i believe its because the game was not properly installed. so heres the big question

Any way i can install the game through DOSBOX with the data that came from the floppy disks but without being able to use floppys cause the drive is shot?

Reply 1 of 3, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought it was a CD-ROM game? Oh well...

If all the files are in one folder, you can try:
mount a c:\folder1 -t floppy
mount c c:\oldgames

Where c:\folder1 is the name of the folder containing your Blue Force floppy files and oldgames is the folder you want to install DOS games into. You can then switch to the virtual A: drive and try running the installer.

If it doesn't like having all the files in one folder, or if it needs DOS volume labels for the floppies, then things get a bit more complicated.

Reply 2 of 3, by nostalgia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When i tried that, i get the installer working, then it says enter the drive in which the floppys are storing the data. when i type it in its giving me an illegal command. and when i try running it from the A: drive it won't do it either probly because thats not the drive the installer or data is in? Remember, the A drive is the floppy disk drive and it doesn't work whatsoever.

Reply 3 of 3, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Inside of DOSBox, "A:" would actually map to whatever you put in for c:\folder1 in my example above.

I don't have this game (just a demo on CD-ROM) so I unfortunately can't give you any specific help with installing it.