VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ronny84

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone!

(sorry for my bad english!)
I write about Discworld II under win2000 (and some problems are the same in win xp)! So..

I managed, after long looong days of trying, to play this game quite perfectly! 😉

In this post I want to explane how I made this and what setting I've used! ^^

First step: Bouchehog guide! (in other words, how to run discworld 2 with sounds and no errors!)
This guide have resolved all my problems about running discworld 2 on my system.. I really thanks Bouchehog for his precious help! You can read his guide in this topic!

There is only one thing that miss in Bouchehog's guide.. you can't play the game simply right-click on dw2 and selecting "Run with VDMS", but you MUST set 2 options in the program configuration! So:

10b. After selecting "Run with VDMS", select "Set up a custom configuration" (next), "Create a new configuration from scratch" (next), "Advance". In the window that will open, under Compatibility, check "Enable basic VESA support" and "Enable low-level CD-ROM support". Click "ok", "next" and, in the end, "end"! 😉

The game will start and you can play it with sounds! 😉

But unfortunately there is another problem for some win2000 users: mouse moves only in the higher space of the screen!! 😭

Second step: Mouse2kv!
This is a little application that you can install with VDMSound 2.1.0 or download from this site!!

1. Copy mouse2kv.exe under Discworld main directory.
2. Modify dw2.bat adding at the end this line: mouse2kv 320 240 1 1 dwb.exe
Batch File will be like this:

@echo off
vbeplus
mouse2kv 320 240 1 1 dwb.exe

(IMPORTANT: put dwb.exe command on the same line of mouse2kv!!)

Now the mouse problem is fix and you can play Discworld2 in all its stupidity! =D

...But... it's slow!! 😭 (maybe only on my pc, but I doubt about it..)

Third step: CuteMouse!
While I was searching a solution for mouse's problem, I've found an application call CuteMouse.. I had run this exe without command before dwb.exe, and the mouse had freeze on "new game" space.. so I've erase the program.. But I've noticed one thing: the game was very fast and fluid! So, after I've found the solution with Mouse2kv, I've tried to join Mouse2kv with CuteMouse and the result is perfect! =D

1. Download CuteMouse from it's official site, unzip and put "ctmouse.exe" and "ctmouse.asm" under Discworld main directory.
2. Edit dw2.bat (poor file! xD) adding this cutemouse code:

ctmouse/n/y>nul
if errorlevel 5 echo Mouse not found!
if errorlevel 5 goto end
<program> %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
ctmouse/u>nul
:end

I don't really know what is all this code and if batch file "reads" it, but it works so I take it like this! xDD
dw2.bat will look like this:

@echo off
vbeplus

ctmouse/n/y>nul
if errorlevel 5 echo Mouse not found!
if errorlevel 5 goto end
<program> %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
ctmouse/u>nul
:end

mouse2kv 320 240 1 1 dwb.exe

3. Run the game with VDMSound and play it in full speed, with sound and mouse!!! =DD (Probably when dos loads ctmouse, two error will appear because the program can't find COM3 and COM4.. I don't know well dos, so I don't know if there is a better configuration, but you can simply click on "ignore" to play the game! 😉

I hope this little guide will help who want to play this great game without win2000/xp problems! ^^