VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by bcraigc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So i've been hunting for days now, and I have yet to find a solution. My cd just will NOT install.
I have tried using the install.exe under windows. This gives me "install info error. file=:wrong number of params" I tried a fake c:\config.sys file, no difference.
I've tried running origin.bat at the command prompt. I get
"Availiable memory = 633952 bytes
Install System Shock (Y/N)"
So I press Y, of course. (Not quite that dumb, am I?)
Then comes
"Loading install....
...install finished"
Which takes about half a second, then I'm back to the D prompt. I have tried copying the entire CD to the hard drive and trying from there as well, with the same end.
There is also a method on ttlg forums where you are supposed to use VDMSound. He says
"STEP 3: Install the game,<he makes it sound soooo easy> I myself have the enhanced CD version.
MY COMPUTER---->SYSTEM SHOCK CD--->INST--->Right Click on INITIAL
and RUN WITH VDMS

STEP 4: A new window will open and from this menu you can select where you want
to install the game to and setup your sound system. I myself am using
Midi sound and for the digital sound using Soundblaster."

I get a dos window at this point, named Inactive VDMS Launchpad, with
"Loading 'VDDLoader.dll' ..."
which appears to be as far as that program wants to go.

I'm beginning to think XP just hates me. Any help will be greatly appreciated, and will do wonders for my self-esteem if I do manage to get this running.

Reply 1 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should try a recent CVS DOSBox release. Check the development section of the forum for that. Preferably Gulikoza's build. I think it's the most updated.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 4, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also have the enhanced cd. Just insert your cd while you are in windows xp, not in dosbox. Open the command prompt window (do not use vdmsound yet). Go to the drive where your cd is located and run install.bat, then just install and configure. If that does not work, go to the root directory of your sshock cd and type .\inst\initial.exe

It should install flawlessly. Then you will need the patched .exe http://www.m3fe.com/content/files/cdshock_xp.zip
so that it will run on xp properly. Then download latest vdmsound. Create a shortcut to the patched .exe you've put in the sshock dir, enable ems, vesa, and low-level mscdex support. You should also enable midi, it sounds better and works better than adlib emulation (just disable adlib in advanced). And finally in the performance tab, use "try to reduce cpu usage" and set the slider somewhere in the middle. Don't forget to set your sound card properly using install.exe - use sb16, and general midi.

It should work great now, it works superbly here, even in high resolution. 😀

Reply 3 of 4, by bcraigc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

You should try a recent CVS DOSBox release. Check the development section of the forum for that. Preferably Gulikoza's build. I think it's the most updated.

Not to be sexist, but I'm thinking most people here are male. Even so, I could kiss you. *L* With the new build, it installed without a hitch. Now I can beat my head against the wall with the other problems that everyone else has. It feels good to belong.
Thanks again for the tip.