VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TwitchesMcGee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Read that readme, searched every inch of the forums for specific answer...done a lot of looking to no results, so its time to ask personally
Here’s where I'm at with the hardware:
* IC7-max3
* P4 2.8g hyperthread (c type)
* 1024 DDR400 (pc3200) dual channel (512x2)
* generic radieon 9600XT 128 AGP
* SB live 7.1

The game is Shock1. The game is running correctly as set up from directions at the TTLG "get it working on XP" sticky. I am running it on XP pro; I don’t know where to start other then the order in which problems present themselves. So...

1.) That inaccessible COM1 thing. So I've got a sound blaster, should be easily compatible, but VDMsound is emulating a card anyway, right? I'll admit that I don’t know everything I should about COM port assignments and IRQ channels, so I looked up my mobo/bios information from the manufacture and found this information;

IRQ Number Device
0 System Timer
1 PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key)
2 Cascade to secondary controller (IRQ8-15)
3 Communications Port (COM2)

4 Communications Port (COM1)
... List continues with probably irrelevant information

My VDMSound settings are verbatim to the sticky on the TTLG forum. On top of that I changed NOTHING in the sound setup of the game during instillation.

Ok, here’s what I want to know: how do I enable COM1 in my bios (a poster has said a lot of time to just enable it, how exactly?) Is this problem in my VDMSound settings (can you advise some other settings, like setting it to emulate different devices for direct sound and midi?) Or is my actual PCI sound card already using this port? What can I do with the information I found about my IRQs (I recall having to do some reassigning of IRQs to get sound in games like space quest to work on my old and no-longer-operable DOS machine?)

Basically I don’t know if the COM1 thing is a separate issue from not having sound, but overall I don’t want to have to ignore it, and I want sound.

2.) COM1 and sound aside, I have a previously mentioned (in a very old thread,) but not clearly answered problem with the mouse in higher resolutions. The curser moves fine in every resolution but the highest one in the video options in the game. I did nothing about enabling higher resolutions other then the batch editing instructed in that TTLG sticky. The last and highest one I see in the in-game video options menu (its 640x480 I believe) the cursor moves un-playably slowly.

Beyond not having playable control of the mouse in 640x480, the game is still smooth and flows at the correct speed. I would be content with playing in this resolution but I believe with a gig of ram running dual channel and a 2.8g chip I can push it a little higher.

What I want to know: why is my mouse moving so slowly in 480x640 when I have the hardware to play in higher settings, and on top of that having the mouse program in place and running as the TTLG sticky instructs. Also, how can I run the game in higher resolutions (say, 800x600 or 1024x768) and what do I need to do it.

That’s all I’ve got so far. Thanks for reading and more thanks in advance for any help or advice. Please question me if I left anything you need to know out.

Also, I'd like to mention that I run in hyperthread mode. Now I can play shock2 flawlessly after I disable the "2nd" processor (affinity 1 in the task manager, you probably know the trick if you’ve forced shock2 to run in XP.) shock1 doesn’t seem to care about 2 processors, hmm...

Reply 1 of 10, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

System Shock 1:

1.) Don't worry about the COM1: or COM2: port, just click on "IGNORE" and go to the task bar and double-click on the MS-DOS prompt item to continue. The COM1: or COM2: have nothing to do with your sound card.

2.) Set up VDMSound to use IRQ 7, DMA 1 IOport 220h. Use the INSTALL.EXE in SYSTEM SHOCK to setup the Digital sound card as an SB16 and Music card as GENERAL MIDI. Run the sound tests. If you cannot hear the sound during the INSTALL setup, you will NOT get sound in-game.

3.) The mouse 'sluggishness' can be partially correct by the use of the program MOUSE2KV.EXE which you can find on this forum. Then you would have the follow command-line:

C:\SomeDir\SSHOCK>Mouse2KV 640 480 8 8 CDSHOCK.EXE

and you are off to the races...

Hope this helps,

dvwjr

Reply 3 of 10, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Also System Shock's highest resolution is 640x480.....

There is a version (patch) which will (sometimes) do 1024x768 with a modified CDSHOCK.EXE on the TTLG forums... Possible in the future is 1280x1024 😳

dvwjr

Reply 6 of 10, by TwitchesMcGee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok, heres where im at

1.) COM ports are meaningless. the problem was not having actually configured it in install.exe with vdmsound

2.) i gots my sound, but no other soundblaster but "soundblaster" works for my digital device... however general midi does not work for playing music in my game. choosing soundblaster, pro and 16 in the install.exe will produce music when tested but not in game.

So far with setting matching the TTLG stickey, everything but the misic and the 640x480 rez work... which brings me to

3.) I followed those instructions to the T, of couse ive had mouse2kv installed, and in the correct places with a similar launch command the entire time. game doesnt launch in 640x480, always in the default lowest. only 640x480 produces sluggishness, but after looking at the linked thread and seeing the dissapointingly minimal imporvement as far as 1200x resolution, im contempt with what i have now.

as far as getting the music going, i dont know... screw the com ports, i think it has something to do with my actual card/configuration/drivers before it gets to VDMSound.

any errors that are not hardware based can usually be solved by double checking your work and not being retarded, thats how i got this far, and by this far i mean robotics on deck 2. yea, ive got a long way to go.

anyone have any clues on the music thing? Im positive im using the CD version becasue i get speech audio logs. everything is in place otherwise... adlib for music a possiblility?

Reply 7 of 10, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TwitchesMcGee wrote:

ok, heres where im at

2.) i gots my sound, but no other soundblaster but "soundblaster" works for my digital device... however general midi does not work for playing music in my game. choosing soundblaster, pro and 16 in the install.exe will produce music when tested but not in game.

3.) ..."game doesnt launch in 640x480, always in the default lowest. only 640x480 produces sluggishness, "

Try this for testing the SOUND install. Open a MSDOS prompt in Windows XP. Type in the Command: DOSX.EXE - Now type in the Command: DOSDRV.EXE - Now change to the \SSHOCK sub-directory and type in the command INSTALL.EXE. Configure the sound as "SoundBlaster 16" for Digital and "General Midi" for Music. Now test both again.

The game NEVER launches as anything but 320x200, the original LOWEST resolution. After you start a new game, choose the 640x480 resolution. Immediately SAVE the game as "640x480". Exit System Shock. Restart System Shock. Now at the main menu where the bottom selection is CONTINUE, click there and you will see a list of your "saved" game called "640x480". Select that game and you will immediately start the game in 640x480 resolution.

Hope this helps,

dvwjr

Reply 8 of 10, by TwitchesMcGee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

your save n' continue thing didnt work

i get the wackeiest menue when i do what you instructed in the dos prompt... heres a screen capture

strangedos5cq.th.jpg

(yes, i had to show off my dual display and yes, im a horrible person for it)

so im where i was last time, SB16 and general midi didnt, and still dont work for playing music... in fact, SB16 doesnt even work for me. i use soundblaster for digital sound fine.

Reply 10 of 10, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TwitchesMcGee wrote:

so im where i was last time, SB16 and general midi didnt, and still dont work for playing music... in fact, SB16 doesnt even work for me. i use soundblaster for digital sound fine.

OK, you are running WinXP (SP2), correct?

If you are then open an Command.com prompt, and either have the Autoexec.NT or manually execute DOSX.EXE only (for DPMI memory support). No VDMsound, no MOUSE2KV.EXE, nothing else.

This will be the contents of your new CYB.CFG file:

midi_list 7
midi_card 12
midi_io -1
midi_irq -1
midi_dma -1
midi_drq -1
digi_list 0
digi_card 1
digi_io -1
digi_irq -1
digi_dma -1
digi_drq -1

This is the "SoundBlaster" for the SYSTEM SHOCK Digital and "General Midi" for the Music card. Do NOT run the install program to test the card selections. You are going to use the built in WinXP (SP2) SoundBlaster emulation for the Digital card and the ever-present General Midi for the SYSTEM SHOCK Music card.

Now run the Mok's patch version of CDSHOCK.EXE and see if you get the MIDI music on the CREDITS selection on the main menu. Now start the intro and if you can hear the narration then your sound system is functional. This is 11kHz mono sound. You can then play with VDMsound and the SB16 setting to get stereo for the digital sound in System Shock.

Let us know,

dvwjr