VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Dos Game Player

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My Civ floppy number 1 went bad today and now I cant install the game. All the others work fine but A doesn't. Can anyone give advice? I have tried reading it under 2 drives and they both say the disk needs formatting. What should I do? 🙁 🙁

Reply 1 of 9, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Bad luck... You can try the company which made the game, but I doubt they will do anything...
Certainly do not ask here for the copy of the floppy/where to download the game etc.

Mirek

Reply 4 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, there are different floppy recovery programs out there. Just search around in google and give 'em a try.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 9, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, with a lot of patience I had been able to recover some nasty floppy errors using VGACOPY (with retries=99).

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 6 of 9, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, current disk drives are utter crap - they actually WRECK disks. Want a few examples? I used one disk a hundered times on my old 486 that I use for old games, and it never gave an error. I used it twice in my AMD 64 3000+ PC which has a Sony disk drive, and it got corrupted and damaged.

In other words: disk drives are crap these days and actually damage disks which is why I refuse to use any of my game disks in any modern PC.

Reply 9 of 9, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sadly, that was my impression as well. Cannot say anything about drives -- the last time I bought one was about seven years ago, and I am still using dual-format Epson but I've noticed declining disk quality. Started sometime around 1996, by 2001 almost every fresh 10-pack of disks had at least one with bad sectors. Oddest thing -- nobody seemed to really care at that point.