VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Quoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Running either in Windows 98SE or pure DOS everything runs just fine (PC-CD version). Everything, that is, besides the sound. It does come through but the voices and FX come through distorted and... Rough... Er, crackling. Kind of-- slowed down, so that on the occasion that he speeds up his speech it sounds normal for a second.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

---------------------------------------
HP Vectra VL400
Pentium III 800MHz
512Mb SDRAM
GeForce 3 Ti 500 64Mb DDR
(Detonator XP 41.09)
Intel 82801AA AC'97 Audio Controller
(Onboard sound)
Windows 98SE & Windows XP Professional SP1

Last edited by Quoth on 2003-02-04, 11:39. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by DosFreak Might it have an ISA slot waiting for a good little SB16?

Nope. PCI/AGP only. I think you're in trouble, onboard audio rarely works properly in "true" DOS...and when it does...performance tends to be poor.

Just so you know, some DOS titles won't even work properly unless you're using an ISA card. Like I said, you're in a bad spot. Even if you get a decent PCI soundcard with DOS support, there's no guarantee of it working...

The only way I got the PC version of BASS working properly was running it on an old 486-66 with an ISA soundcard.

I settled for emulating the Amiga/CD32 version. It doesn't have the full intro, or the color range of the PC version (32 vs. 256 colors), but the I think the music is much better.

BTW, theres a project underway to rewrite the game's engine to allow it work natively in a Windows environment....but that's probably going to be a long time.

Reply 4 of 10, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

From what i heard from the scummvm team it's a bitchy game with to much stuff being handled by the program instead of the scripting language.

Reply 6 of 10, by Mok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Yes, that's why I said "going to be a long time"

If I had the access to working source code, I could (probably) fix the game to work on newer computers/systems. Unfortunately I don't have time (or maybe enough abilities) to make a portable C version, so I won't ask the scummvm team for the sources 🙁

-Mok

Reply 7 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Mok ... I don't have time (or maybe enough abilities) to make a portable C version, so I won't ask the scummvm team for the sources

Well, you could ask...but you'd be opening up a great big box of pain as (apparently) the original programmers did it in some form of assembly (which I think was quite insane...especially considering they were programming the 68000-based Amiga version at the same time).

Reply 8 of 10, by Mok

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

Well, you could ask...but you'd be opening up a great big box of pain as (apparently) the original programmers did it in some form of assembly (which I think was quite insane...especially considering they were programming the 68000-based Amiga version at the same time).

Actually, I prefer assembly language to C. In the past I even wrote 1 or 2 adventure games in pure assembler (nothing known or good), one of them was in 68000 asm for amiga 😀 But in this case I mean 'fixing' only ie. replacing the shitty flashtek dos extender with another one. This requires some changes in the game code, but AFAIK nothing really major. The main problem is getting the code relocatable, which requires the source code, as the original executable is fixed at address 0.

-Mok

Reply 10 of 10, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Mok Actually, I prefer assembly language to C.

I amfraid I have to agree with Snover on this one. That's nuts. All that labor for even the simplest of tasks. Sub-routines or the like I could understand...

In the past I even wrote 1 or 2 adventure games in pure assembler (nothing known or good), one of them was in 68000 asm for amiga 😀

A noble cause, to be sure. You sure it wasn't for the ST and you did a quick and dirty port?

...replacing the flashtek dos extender with another one. This requires some changes in the game code, but AFAIK nothing really major.

Ok, now THAT sounds viable. A full port would be best, but a complete (properly working) port will probably take a huge amount of time.