VOGONS

Common searches

Swaping disks

Topic actions

First post, by Ineedsomehelp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I dled a game off the internet but I can install it because it has more than one disk. 6 seperate disks are needed to install the game. I can get the first disk to install but then it asks for the second and I dont know how to switch over to the next disk.
I have tried putting all the contents from all of the disks into one folder but it doesnt work. Can someone help me out please?

Reply 1 of 5, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you installing from real ms-dos?

Just copy the disk to regular floppies and you will be okay.

Or copy them (if different) to a folder and use SUBST to simulate drive A

Or use DOSBox (easier, recommended) and use CTRL-F4 to acknowledge swapping disks.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 5, by Ineedsomehelp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am not very computer savy. Can you give me a step by step instruction on how to do this? I also dont have a floppy drive.
Basically I dont understand how "CTRL-F4 to acknowledge swapping disks" works.

Reply 3 of 5, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CTRL-F4 is when you are using DOSBox. You know what DOSBox is, don't you? DOSBox is a ms-dos emulator. In order to use it you need to mount (think of it as "activate") as many drives as you need. In this case we need a floppy drive (where source files are) and a hard disk (destination drive).

So, you would install DOSBox and after running it a prompt similar to old ms-dos will appear...

Z:\>

And it is waiting commands typed in by us. As I have said before, the first thing we need is to mount our drives. To do this TYPE IN in the Z:\> prompt:

mount c c:\ (press Enter)
mount a "c:\installation folder" -t floppy (press Enter)

Please note that installation folder is the name of the folder WHERE YOU HAVE ALL SOURCE FILES. Using short names for folders is better, by the way.

After mounting, you need to CHANGE to the floppy to start installation.

A: (press Enter)
Prompt will change to A

A:\>

and then type in dir to see how the install program is called, most probably install.exe - install.bat - setup.exe - install.com (whatever). Just type in its name

A:\>install.exe

That's it. In our case we don't need CTRL-F4 because we aren't swapping physical floppies at all (remember we have made the program believe the A: is just a folder containing all files). CTRL-F4 is used when we are mounting the real A: drive (floppy) and we physically change floppies.

Good luck. I hope this would have clarified things a bit for you.

PS - Just because we are talking about DOSBox now, I ADVISE YOU TO READ THE GUIDELINES/FAQs in the proper section forum.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 5, by Ineedsomehelp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I dont think i my case it wont work.
First I dont have a floppy drive so I cant make the individual disks

This is what I did and didnt work.
I mounted disk 1 to the a: drive on dosbox
ran install.bat
and it asks for disk2 and press any key. This is where I got stuck the first time.

Now I copied the contents of disk2 to the same a drive on dosbox but it doesnt work and freezes the program and doesnt ask me for disk3

I guess my problem is getting the installation program to reconigze the second disk. Is there a way I can switch the contents in the mounted a: from disk1 to disk2?