VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by zazzaro703

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok well thanks to Dos i got the game working but when i take off as soon as im in the cockpit view the music slows down. If i change the camera angle to outside the ship so you get kind of a fly by view the music speeds up to the right speed. I have it set on SoundBlaster for music and speech, IRQ 7, 220. My computer is a P4 3.4ghz 1g Ram Raedeon x300, Realtek HD. Some of the stuff in my dosbox.cfg are: (using dosbox .063, OS Windows XP home edition). Running game from dosbox.

nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=4096
prebuffer=60

core=normal
cycles=12000
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

language=
machine=vga
captures=capture
memsize=32

Anyone have any ideas on how to remedy this. Im def stoked i can at least play and can deal with the music if thats the only problem i have. It only seems to be when in the ship in the cockpit view. Music seems fine everywhere else. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I used the search but couldnt figure it out. Ive played with the numbers in the .cfg file above a little bit.

Reply 1 of 6, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which version of DosBox are you using?

Make sure you grab the CVS build from my signature, download either gulikoza's or ykhwong's.

Also looking at your dosbox.conf it looks like your using "Core=normal", you need to change that to "Core=dynamic" if you actually want to play anything demanding like Privateer.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 6, by zazzaro703

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried core=dynamic and it just closes dosbox .63. I can put it on full and it works but still the same speed music. Once i get that CVS build do i install it in my dosbox file. Sorry new to this.

*Edit* Reading the instructions from the link in your profile. Explaining CVS stuff. This might help me.

Reply 3 of 6, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Few things you could try to speed the game up, which might help the music problem...
Set core=dynamic in dosbox.conf
Play around with the cylces and frameskip
Download a CVS (beta) version of dosbox. I use the one at http://ykhwong.x-y.net/ but note that it does have some issues.

Btw, you should really be posting this in the DosBox games/apps section. The DOS section is about getting stuff to run in REAL dos mostly - the problems encountered when using an emulator like dosbox are often different, and dosbox specific.

Edit: Wow, is the forum lagging, or am I just really slow writing my posts. 🤣.

Reply 5 of 6, by zazzaro703

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Man updated the CVS and installed it right because it says its that Yguys version but still the same music problems while flying in cockpit view. The game runs normal speed its just the music in cockpit view for some reason. I did change the new config file and juiced things up and still slow. Any other thoughts or ideas?

Also i apologize for posting in the wrong forum. I saw the Dos... Getting old Dos games working and figured my problem was trying to get an old DOS game working so i though i was in the right spot.

Reply 6 of 6, by haysoos123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you tried using General MIDI for music? That's what I use and it works just fine (and sounds better than the FM synth stuff). I've run both the diskette version and the cdrom version with no problems (with Righteous Fire expanson, too). I run 16000 cpu cycles.