VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 42 of 47, by MadBeastMike

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I either lost a ton of system files either due to corruption or maybe even a virus 😵 I already tried safe mode, and I took the laptop as is and I don't have an ME setup disc.

The first think it says is: windows cannot find "IFSHLP.SYS". system halted"
This happend pretty much like a week before I installed the drivers, which I probably didnt even install right.

Reply 43 of 47, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I believe there is some chance to get sound working under pure DOS, but it won't work unless you reformat the disk, install Windows 98(SE) and get the system drivers from the IBM website.

Reply 45 of 47, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There's a hack out there for Windows ME to give you the ability back to boot into DOS. Can't remember the name of it tho.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 46 of 47, by MadBeastMike

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

There's a hack out there for Windows ME to give you the ability back to boot into DOS. Can't remember the name of it tho.

You're right, this is it right here. I used it back when windows was working on my laptop, but once windows wouldnt boot i learned to make my own system menu.

Reply 47 of 47, by MadBeastMike

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As some of you are aware, I have a desktop too (haha, its what im using to post on these forums). Today, I tried to connect my soundblaster 2.0 to my computer, but it wouldn't fit (probably because its so outdated!!!!) so I guess the fact that I have a Soundblaster 2.0 card makes absoultely no difference whatsoever.