VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 47, by MadBeastMike

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok.. I THINK i remember mine being something about m5451... also could http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&s … icial%26sa%3DGS be what I'm looking for?

Last edited by MadBeastMike on 2006-04-10, 22:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 21 of 47, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmm, I've never used the M5451, but possibly the legacy soundblaster emulation has to be turned on in the BIOS setup first. Enter the BIOS setup and look out for options like "Legacy Sound" or similar. If you find settings to configure the base address, IRQ and DMA channel of your soundchip, this a very good indication that it can emulate SoundBlaster under DOS.

Reply 23 of 47, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No legacy sound options in the BIOS? That's not a good sign. What brand and model is your laptop?

About that link: I'm not sure whether installing an old japanese audio driver would help 😒

Reply 24 of 47, by MadBeastMike

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay this might sound wierd, but I was just playing a game on my laptop, and I was at a part where the main character picked up the phone, and I heard the talking loud and clear, perfectly! Now, could that have been my PC Sound card, or does my laptop only have the capability to play WAVs (Actually I dont even know if that was a WAV but it was pure as hell sound)

EDIT: Actually, well, I rmemeber taking the speaker file from the underdogd that you could configure to make speaker sound play wavs, but I didnt really know how to configure it... but i guess i did. go figure.

But since I didn't know how to configure it, I don't really know whats going on. Maybe I did, maybe I didn't, I just wish I knew how to make it work with all programs.

Reply 25 of 47, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Err...was this in Pure DOS?
If yes, either your sound card does indeed do Sound Blaster emulation (without the need for drivers, I guess), or it's digital sound effects via the PC speaker, which is possible but few games do it, and it doesn't sound too good.

Reply 26 of 47, by MadBeastMike

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yea man pure-dos 🙁 can't get into windows on that laptop. Anyways maybe it was emulation because you said it wouldn't sound too good but to me it sounded clear as day! What I wouldn't get is if it emulates sound files, why not MIDIs?

Reply 27 of 47, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What game were you playing when you heard the digital sound from your laptop speakers? Were you using a bootdisk to get into DOS, and which one was it?

I've searched the web a bit for ALi Audio Accelerator DOS drivers or configuration tools, but such a thing doesn't seem to exist for download anywhere. I can only think of three reasons why:
1) There is no driver because the soundchip does not support sound while running DOS.
Contradiction: Some hardware specs for the sound chip indicate that it is SB Pro compatible (if it really is a M5451).
2) There is no driver because the soundchip supports SB emulation without drivers.
Contradiction: Where is one supposed to configure the SB settings? Obviously not in the BIOS, and a system tool doesn't seem to exist neither.
3) There is no driver because the functionality comes with the Win9x/Me audio driver package. I have no chance to find out about that.

Anyway, if you need driver updates for your laptop, get them from the well-maintained IBM website.

MadBeastMike wrote:

What I wouldn't get is if it emulates sound files, why not MIDIs?

Because it's far more complex to do it in software only. DOSBox and VDMSound can do it, but it needs a lot of CPU power (which results in choppy performance on your machine, as you have described above).

Reply 28 of 47, by Lofty

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think the main reason for VDMSound choppiness is...well, not VDMSound but NTVDM/Win9x dos support timing issues, though no doubt VDMSound causes some slowdown as well.

Some sound hardware that could emulate a Sound Blaster in Pure DOS didn't require a driver per se, but did require a setup program to be run when DOS loaded (eg. in autoexec.bat) to initialise the hardware in Sound Blaster mode with the desired settings. (I wouldn't call this a driver as it doesn't stay in memory and doesn't do anything after the initialisation stage).

Reply 29 of 47, by MadBeastMike

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK i think it was PC Speaker sounds... because I heard another conversation and there was talking along with what sounded a bit like diarrhea in the background... and then froze ... 🙁

EDIT: So I guess it looks like I got stuck with the crappiest sound card in the house, huh?

EDIT2: Yup. PC Speaker wavs. good thing they exist. But too bad it fooled me.

Last edited by MadBeastMike on 2006-04-12, 00:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 30 of 47, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder if Creatives Audigy External USB series has drivers that support emulation in Windows 9x....

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 31 of 47, by MadBeastMike

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

I wonder if Creatives Audigy External USB series has drivers that support emulation in Windows 9x....

If they did that, should I buy it?

Oh and for some reason, the PC Speaker that sounded clear as day now sounds pretty bad. Dunno what I did, dunno what to do to fix it.

Reply 32 of 47, by MadBeastMike

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK this might be off topic of what I'm trying to get working.. but does anyone know what this BIOS screen means? it says Onboard Devices Configuration, and Idont get it beause the original port displayed has a letter in it and I thought they were just numbers.

Attachments

• Filename
    io.PNG
    File size
    245.14 KiB
    Downloads
    91 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 33 of 47, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Did a bit of image enhancing to be able to read the text...
io-enhanced.png
Omg... What were you smoking when you took the picture? 🤣

The address 3BC for the parallel port is perfectly normal - port addresses are usually defined in hexadecimal (indicated by the "h" after the address).

Attachments

• Filename
    io-enhanced.PNG
    File size
    463.7 KiB
    Downloads
    79 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 34 of 47, by MadBeastMike

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Back on topic, Im wondering if anyone knows if theres a way I could fool my computer into thinking it has sound blaster, and just play all the .WAVs from games and whatnot through the PC Speaker?

Reply 35 of 47, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MadBeastMike wrote:

OK this might be off topic of what I'm trying to get working.. but does anyone know what this BIOS screen means? it says Onboard Devices Configuration, and Idont get it beause the original port displayed has a letter in it and I thought they were just numbers.

For best backwards compatibility you should set port 378h and SPP mode.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 36 of 47, by MadBeastMike

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
eL_PuSHeR wrote:

For best backwards compatibility you should set port 378h and SPP mode.

All I have is ECP, EPP, Standard, and Bi-Directional modes do you know which of them would replace that, and how would this help me?

EDIT: I'm going to post the NSSI stats, to see if maybe it would help. NOTE: THIS IS IN PURE DOS.

Blaster type - None Bits - N\A
Specific Type - ALI M5451 AC-Link Controller Audio Device Bits - 16
Settings PORT - N\A, IRQ - N\A, HIGH DMA - N\A, MIDI PORT N\A
DSP Version - N\A
AWE Features - N\A
Compatibility - N\A
Features - Stero, Unknown
Manufacturer - Acer Labs Inc.
DSP Copyright - N\A
Accelerator - No Known Found

Reply 38 of 47, by MadBeastMike

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I'm trying a new experiment. After seeing the commodore 64 emulator, C64s, which emulates commodore 64 sound perfectly on the pc speaker (Meaning not through blips and bloops, actual commodore sound) I was devoted to find an NES emulator based on the same concept. Unfortunately, after a long search, I could not find one. But, someone told me of REMUS, which could fool the computer into thinking you had another sound card, and emulate the sound. Unfortunately, REMUS has not been updated in nearly a decade ('97) and was in an early alpha stage, and always caused my compuer to either crash or make high pitched squeaks and scratches. What I'm looking for, is if there is a way into fooling my compute into thinking it has sound blaster, while just emulating the sound part (except MIDI of course, becasue I know that wouldn't work) and I'm just wondering is there any way I can do this?