VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Aspie_Boi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Has anyone had any success with this title? (called Lemmings Chronicles in the US I'm told).

I've tried running it under native NT dos box, with VDMSound and in Dosbox 0.56.

In dosbox the install program runs but when I try to load the game dosbox crashes with an 'unsupported feature' error (I'm not sure which feature it is refering to (as I'm sure the game isn't a protected mode title).

Under Native NT command prompt and also with VDMSound the game installs... (I have to use a slow down app to get past the run time 200 error, and enable Expanded memory) but when I try and load it, the PC switches to full screen mode and just sits there with a black screen. I've tried running it with sound / music disabled from the setup program but that changes nothing.

**Note: The game's setup program also offers standard and 640x480 screen resolutions so perhaps it needs a VESA driver (but there's no mention of it on the box).

I don't think there's any point running it from within VPC as I have an old Pentium PC which I tried it with (using DOS 7.0 with genuine DOS CD-ROM, Mouse & SB drivers) and the same thing happened.

Has anyone had any luck with this game? or have any more ideas I can try? (I'm running Windows XP Pro SP1 btw)

Reply 1 of 5, by Aspie_Boi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

An update:

I have managed to get the game to run under Windows 95 OEM (my old PC) by doing the following:

(F8 on boot then step by step startup mode)

Load registry, setver.exe, ifshlp.sys, Windows GUI & Windows drivers

and ONLY the following lines in my cfg files:

Config.sys:

DEVICE=C:\Windows\Himem.sys
DEVICE=C:\Windows\EMM386.exe 8192 RAM

(Ignore autoexec.bat)

Then...

Settings in the L3F.exe's .pif file:

'Do not allow MS DOS programs to detect Windows'

'Screen Size: Full Screen'

(The game DOES require a VESA driver I have discovered)

I think I'm going to have to run this one from the old PC as I can't for the life of me figure out how I'm going to get my XP PC to emulate such a precise configuration (I can't set up a dual boot and VPC doesn't work with this game).

Reply 2 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Aspie_Boi In dosbox the install program runs but when I try to load the game dosbox crashes with an 'unsupported feature' error (I'm not sure which feature it is refering to (as I'm sure the game isn't a protected mode title).

http://www.mobygames.com/game/techinfo/gameId,1752/

DosBox only supports 386 Real-Mode games and earlier. It means that since ANWOL requires a 486 processor, it can't run it.
http://dosbox.zophar.net/info.htm

I have to use a slow down app to get past the run time 200 error, and enable Expanded memory)

Does the game itself generate the runtime error, or just the installer. If the game does, there's the possibility that the executable might be "patchable".

**Note: The game's setup program also offers standard and 640x480 screen resolutions so perhaps it needs a VESA driver (but there's no mention of it on the box).

The standard video mode should work fine (did you try this mode with sound & music disabled). Since you have a GeForce3, you will need NOLFB or similar tool to use VESA video modes in WinXP.

Reply 3 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Originally posted by Aspie_Boi An update: I have managed to get the game to run under Windows 95 OEM (my old PC) by doing the f […]
Show full quote

Originally posted by Aspie_Boi An update:

I have managed to get the game to run under Windows 95 OEM (my old PC) by doing the following:

(F8 on boot then step by step startup mode)

*ack*
Save yourself some grief and use the multi-config options available for Windows9x (they are basically the same as DOS6).

You would need to edit your MSDOS.SYS file using the DOS "EDIT" (either type edit in a command prompt, or click START, then Run, then type edit.

Remove the READ-ONLY attribute from your MSDOS.SYS file then load it from your C: drive's root directory and change BootGUI=1 from 1 to BootGUI=0. That will keep the Windows GUI from loading automatically.

You can set up multiple configurations depending on what you need. I have attached a couple of example files that you can try as templates (obviously, make up backup copies of your original AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files). They are just examples and you would have to modify them for your PC, but the default configuration waits for 3 seconds then starts a normal Win95 bootup if you don't choose an option.

You might want to search the net for info about Multi-Configurations in DOS using a search engine.

(The game DOES require a VESA driver I have discovered)

It shouldn't need one if you are running it in DOS or Win9x.

...I can't for the life of me figure out how I'm going to get my XP PC to emulate such a precise configuration

Actually, that's fairly easy, the problem is more likely that the game has NT compatibility issues.

(I can't set up a dual boot ...)

Actually, you can, but it's a lot of grief to do if you try after XP has been already installed.

Attachments

• Filename
    multicfg.zip
    File size
    612 Bytes
    Downloads
    205 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 4 of 5, by Aspie_Boi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thx m8,

I'll take a look at those configs when I'm more awake (It's been a loooong day.... *sigh*)

I think both L3 and L2 are 2 of the pickiest DOS games I've come across when it comes to configarations, everything has to be 'just so' or they throw a major wobbler.

ALNWOL was really just me reliving some fond childhood memories, and its not too much of a loss if I can't get it to run properly on this PC. I can't belive it won't work in DOS 7 but will work (very wobbly and under extreme protest) in Win95.

Still thanks for the help, this board is becoming an invaluable tool in getting all my ol classics working again. 😀

Reply 5 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Aspie_Boi I think both L3 and L2 are 2 of the pickiest DOS games I've come across when it comes to configarations, everything has to be 'just so' or they throw a major wobbler.

If all else fails, you might try emulating the Amiga originals.