VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Juluck

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there!

Perhaps you guys can help me with my problem. 😀

I'm trying to play "The Riddle of Master Lu" under DOS. I have Win98SE and so my DOS Version should be functional.

My problem is: If I just start the install.exe on the CD, a screen appears, which shows in the upper part the logo of "Riddle of Master Lu", and a part of a picture, but the rest, probably 4/5 of the screen is completely black. So all I can do is to restart my computer.

I've tried to install the game in Win98 and it worked perfectly. But then, if I start the game in DOS mode again, the sound works, but I simply get no picture.

I've read in the README of the game, that there are problems with SmartDrive, but I don't think I have anything like that running.

The following lines show my autoexec.bat, perhaps a driver is missing?

"mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850
keyb gr,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys
c:\dos\mouse.exe PS2
c:\windows\command\mscdex.exe /D:CD001 /V
SET PATH=%PATH%;C:\PROGRA~1\ATITEC~1\ATICON~1

C:\essolo.com"

And here follows my config.sys:

"DEVICE=C:\essolo.sys
dos=high, umb
device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
Country=049,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys
device=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
device=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE NOEMS
devicehigh=C:\DOS\CDROM.SYS /d:cd001"

I've never experienced display problems in DOS with any other game before. I have often difficulties with my soundcard, because its IRQ adress is IRQ 10, but "Riddle of Master Lu" doesn't seem to have problems with that, because the sound is actually the only thing that works properly. 😉

Can anyone think of a possible solution? I've also found something about VESA drivers, but I haven't found anything that could help me. (In fact I didn't understand all the gossip about it 😉 )

My videocard is a ATI Radeon 9800 Pro.

Thanks in advance! 😀