VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Tom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would love to play this game again. I have tried the launchpad with VDMS to no avail. I use a Dell Lattitude Laptop running Win 2K. Pentium 4. 512k ram.

The game is Kingmaker.

The problem is that the dos program freezes upon launching.

Again, I have tried the launch utility which did not help.

Thanks in advance.

PS, I am a know nothing with respect to these things, so if you do help please keep it simple.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Tom The problem is that the dos program freezes upon launching.

Do you get to the "Select Music Source" screen before it "freezes"?

One thing I know is that the install program doesn't have a provision for "no sound". Not sure how Win2K reacts to that (I'm running XP). If you can get to the "Music Source" screen, choose "No Sounds" and see if it runs properly.

Reply 2 of 7, by Tom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, using Dosbox I was able to get this program to load using no sound.

Now my problem is that the Mouse is all messed up. If I wanted to click on something I have to guess someplace to the right fo the object from 2 to 5 inches off. Is there anything I can do to fix that problem?

This problem basically renders this game unplayable.

Reply 3 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Tom Thanks, using Dosbox I was able to get this program to load using no sound.

Actually, if you're using DosBox you should be able to get sound, music, and the voice samples.

Now my problem is that the Mouse is all messed up.

Yes, I've seen this on a few games with DosBox. Seems worse on the "Music Source" than later screens, but I can see that anything against the right-edge of the screen is a no-go.

v0.56 seems to have mouse and sound issues. v0.55 seems to work so long you choose no voice samples (the AdLib/SoundBlaster setting worked otherwise). Hopefully, glitches like these will be gone by version .60.

I take from your response that running natively in Win2K doesn't get you to the Music screen before it freezes?

Seems odd, as I am able to run it both natively, and with VDMSound in XP.

Reply 4 of 7, by Tom

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Your right that working natively in Win 2K freezes on my system before I get to the music selection screen.

Are you able to get the mouse working correctly?

What should I do? Go to a different version of DosBox? Try different settings with VDMS?

I would not know how to begin to change settings in VDMS.

Reply 5 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Tom Your right that working natively in Win 2K freezes on my system before I get to the music selection screen.

Ok. Not good. That seems to imply an OS-level incompatibility.

Are you able to get the mouse working correctly?

Yes, it's fine in XP.

What should I do? Go to a different version of DosBox? Try different settings with VDMS?

Well I'd prefer if another 2000 user could jump in and test this as well. I have no idea why it would seize up in 2K, but not XP. Changing VDMSound settings at this point is probably useless, as it appears to be an OS problem. BTW, do you have any other DOS programs that work with sound for you?

If not, try CHAMP MsPac-em from this post:
showthread.php?threadid=1132

It should run with VDMSound easily.

As for Kingmaker, at the moment, I recommend you download version 0.55 of DosBox and choose Adlib/Soundblaster, then "No Voice" at the beginning of the game.

I would not know how to begin to change settings in VDMS.

If you haven't already, install the GUI launchpad. It creates a special .VLP shortcut for each game that allows you to tweak VDMSound settings pretty easily.