VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm wondering if there is a solution to this problem. I started playing Arena on my 486 a while ago. I got pretty far (sort of) and then I decided to put Windows 98 (DOS 7) on it instead of DOS 6.22. As a result, I had to format the hard drive. I backed up the save game files and proceeded to format. Once everything was done I realised that Arena worked much smoother than on DOS 6.22...strange, but that's beside the point.

Anyway, I went to load my backed up save game files but they were all missing! At least that's what I thought until I tried clicking on the spaces where my save game files were. And it worked! So I saved my save game files but it didn't save the names of each save game. And that's not the only thing that wasn't saved. Upon loading my games I realised that while I still have all my experience points, weapons, skills, potions, spells, etc etc I discovered that I was missing ALL of the name location markers I had set on my maps! They were all gone! Everything that could be labeled on a map was gone. That wouldn't be so bad, but for one of the main quests a queen marks a place on your map where you are supposed to go to complete the game and it doesn't show up on the map as a place where you can travel to unless she marks it. But now since all my labels are gone I can't travel there! I went to see her to see if the game would forget that she showed me in the first place and mark it again, but she just says something along the lines of 'you didn't accomplish your mission. Rest here for a while and try again blah blah'.

Is there ANY way to hack the game or something and get those labels (or at least the marker for Stonekeep (where I'm supposed to go) back in there manually? I really don't want to start all over again as I had some pretty unique items and I was at level 8. It would be a royal pain to go through all that AGAIN.

Reply 1 of 4, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had similar problems several years ago and concluded that in order to backup my savegames in arena I have to backup the entire directory. I recently finished it (started a new game from scratch) and there were no problems.

What did you backup? Selected files or the whole directory? The savegame files in arena can be deceptive because there are loads and loads of save data files. Do you have a copy of the original folder? If you don't I hope you weren't very far because you would probably have to start from scratch otherwise you may run into a lot of bugs.

The only solution is to backup the entire arena directory when transferring your saves and it works great.

Reply 2 of 4, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I didn't back up the whole thing just the files that started with "save". I was just wondering if someone else who has the Stonekeep marker on their map could send me the appropriate file so that I could have the marker back again.

Reply 3 of 4, by doomer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can give you my saves if you want but they are from version 1.07 (cd). We could try anyway though. Just to let you know there are many other save files in addition to the save*.* ones. I don't think it would be a very good idea just to copy a map file from somewhere and continue. So if you want a whole package to test, I'd be glad to give you mine.

Reply 4 of 4, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually, that's ok. I ended up starting over and it didn't take as long as I thought it would to get to where I was. It's too bad. I still had some really cool items. Thanks anyway for your help, though 😀.