Common searches

Hyperspeed

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 39, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tried that too (after my experience with impulse tracker and VDMS), but no luck. I was starting windowed before, but tried fullscreen this time.

I found the graphics in Hyperspeed are smoothest/fastest when the cycles is at around 10000, but the sound is always choppy no matter what. I tried both adlib and pc speaker sound and they both sounded like "blip-blip-blip-blip-blip"

Again, frameskip has no effect except to make the video choppier. I guess the sound emulation needs more CPU power than a PIII-550 can give, although the DOSbox emulation claims that a PII-400 should be able to run fine.

Reply 22 of 39, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The 450MHz Celeron on this laptop struggled with Police Quest 3. I think I had to run it at like 7500 cycles or the sound would start chopping up, and at that speed it took a long time for new scenes and JIT sounds to load.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 23 of 39, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

libmmd.dll

is a library needed by the new compiler (better said exes compiled with certain settings)

Again, frameskip has no effect except to make the video choppier. I guess the sound emulation needs more CPU power than a PIII-550 can give, although the DOSbox emulation claims that a PII-400 should be able to run fine.

Well that number was a indication and not something to rely on.
Especcially as dosbox is starting to emulate newer and more complex games it's requirements for those new games will be offcourse a lot higher.

Maybe your game has some very complex stuff in it and it requires a 1 ghz machine to emulate properly

Qbix

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 24 of 39, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe, but I'd be surprised considering it ran fine on my 8MHz 286. DOSbox must be doing much much more than is necessary to emulate an 8MHz machine on my 550MHz machine.

Reply 25 of 39, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ DOSbox must be doing much much more than is necessary to emulate an 8MHz machine on my 550MHz machine.

Well, there are a lot of variables for emulating a PC, so a chunk of processor power is being used just to emulate the PC itself. I suspect, however, that Hyperspeed is probably doing something "odd" that the DosBox programmers haven't dealt with before... (much like Bio Menace).

In any case, I managed to find all the files needed to test with 0.573 and I'm also getting the audio lag on a Celeron 1.7GHz processor. So I'm doubting it's a processor "issue".

Reply 27 of 39, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You know what's weird? The only other game I really tried running in DOSbox is Wizardry 7, and it has stuttery music too (other people have even reported it on the forums on sourceforge). It's no wonder I have such a bad impression of DOSbox. Is there any game it can run well that VDMSound can't?!

Reply 28 of 39, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by HunterZ Is there any game it can run well that VDMSound can't?!

Plenty. Primarily titles that "Hate NT" but will run in 386 "real-mode" like "Nomad" (AKA Project Nomad).

Heh. You should've been around for HomerJ's tirade about VDMSound and how he heaped praise on DosBox (not knowing that Vlad and Harekiet shared data about SoundBlaster emulation).

Reply 29 of 39, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
HunterZ wrote:

You know what's weird? The only other game I really tried running in DOSbox is Wizardry 7, and it has stuttery music too (other people have even reported it on the forums on sourceforge). It's no wonder I have such a bad impression of DOSbox. Is there any game it can run well that VDMSound can't?!

Sound like another heavy game to me. 😀

Well realize that you don't have to use dosbox. 😀
But for people on linux/freebsd/beos it's a way to play dosgames.

And the older games work nice. Once VESA is implemented then the whole problem of games with NOFLB and such has an alternative as well.

Just run Dune 2 and wolf3d and then you might appreciate dosbox as it allows you to slow down the games (bouncing babies a good example) and you can run those games in a window as win2k will most of the time not allow that because of the weird video resulotion the games choose to use.

Qbix

Reply 30 of 39, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not to get too far off-topic, but I think I've run Dune2 under VDMS before without problems (except that it's full-screen of course). DOSBox doesn't seem to emulate MPU-401 MIDI either (maybe I'm doing something wrong?), which would have been nice in all of the games mentioned in this thread (except Wolf3d I think)

Reply 32 of 39, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Nicht Sehr Gut wrote:

True. But that will be "coming soon" as they already have it in the CVS source.

Not actually emulating. It's more forwarding it to the host OS

Reply 33 of 39, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Qbix It's more forwarding it to the host OS

True, that shouldn't affect operation except for those who's sound cards have no internal MIDI playback capacity in Win9x.

Reply 34 of 39, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, it IS emulation. It has to emulate the IRQ and port of the MPU-401 interface, convert that data back to MIDI signals, then send _that_ data to the MIDI device in Windows.

No need to split hairs though. You all knew what I meant.

Reply 36 of 39, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Snover wrote:

*heh*, Qbix is a developer for DOSBox, you know that, right?

😜 I think we just have a slightly different idea of "emulation"... Qbix' idea of MPU-401 MIDI emulation would probably be to integrate a software wavetable synthesizer into DosBox. Maybe what I'm thinking of is more along the lines of "simulating" - I can never remember the difference.

Reply 37 of 39, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Yeah I would call it simulating as the sound generation is done and the processing is done by the real midi card instead of by us.

We just provided a layer in which this was possible (irq and datalines)

But I did get the idea. I just hope it works on all platforms as nicely as on the Win32 platform as is with the cdrom support 😀

But we will soon know as in this month there will be a new release:
-scale2x
-cdrom
-midi
- write sound to wavefiles (don't know if it makes it in the release)

are some of the newer features present there.

Qbix

Reply 38 of 39, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool - I look forward to playing with it, although it chokes pretty bad on the games I want to use with it (Hyperspeed and Wizardry 7), so I'm not going to hold my breath.