VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not a game problem but rather a hardware problem.

I have 2 HDDs and a CD-ROM. In the 486's BIOS there is only an option to detect the Master and Slave drives. My controller card has pirmary and secondary IDE controllers but the BIOS only wants there to be a primary. There's no mention of a secondary anywhere. I put the 2 HDDs on the primary and the CDROM on the secondary and booted up Win95 and it didn't detect the CDROM. I use a CDROM DOS driver however and it found the CDROM but in Win95 it only operates from the DOS driver so all the long filenames are changes to the DOS equivalents (eg. PROGRA~1 instead of Program Files). This is fine for DOS game CDROMs, but some of my backup CDs are only in long filename mode and WIN95 won't open the directories saying they are 'invalid'.

Is there anyway I can either get my BIOS to detect the secondary IDE controller, get Win95 to detect the secondary IDE controller, or get a DOS driver that supports long filenames?

Reply 5 of 10, by MusicallyInspired

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm having a similar problem with a 3.5" floppy drive now. The BIOS detects it and everything and it goes through the boot process but when I put a boot disk in to boot from it gives this error message:

Disk I/O error
Replace the disk, and press any key

It's not a bad disk as I've used it many times just yesterday on another floppy drive. I've always had problems with this drive. I thoguht it was dead for the longest time until I just tried it now and it worked but it still gives this message. Anything I can do?

Reply 7 of 10, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:

probably still dead 😀

Most likely. Floppies and FDDs are very unreliable PC components. The heads tend to get misaligned after some use. Often disks can still be read in the same drive they were written in, but not in other drives. Some drives produce different results at different temperatures (one of mine would never work just after bootup 😒). Meanwhile I've gotten so fed up with FDDs, I threw them all out.

Reply 8 of 10, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Well, some months ago I managed to ruin two floppy drives in two weeks just while attempting to back up all my floppies (I wanted to burn the content on CD). After a few dozen floppies and two dead floppy drives I stopped doing it...

I have a working floppy drive now, but use it as little as possible (well, my girlfriend uses it - I tried to persuade her to use USB Flashdisc but failed miserably - she likes floppies and she cannot imagine to work without them 😀 ).

Mirek

Reply 9 of 10, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
5u3 wrote:

The heads tend to get misaligned after some use. Often disks can still be read in the same drive they were written in, but not in other drives.

Floppies also could write bits of a byte in a reverse order. Happened a few times and disks were unreadable by other drives until I discovered the reason: FDD cables, at least older ones, have exactly 8 wires reversely connected for one of the connectors, and if fdd is plugge into a wrong one, it is incompatible.

Got rid of that legacy (it passed out) few years ago, and never looked back. Though you still can't install Windows XP on a SATA disk without floppy containing a SATA driver:)

Reply 10 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yep, I haven't used floppies for years except for flashing motherboard BIOSes and installing SATA drivers. I tried building my new computer without a floppy drive, but realized that I needed one to install WinXP on a SATA disk. I plan to keep one floppy drive around and move it from computer to computer as needed (which shouldn't be too often).